Chapter Thirty-One A Traitor

Sorry- Halsey

    Everyone stares at me now. Some with shock, some with straight faces, and some with stupid-looking, dumbfounded expressions that made me want to slap them. Why are they all staring at me like that? Maybe because you said Dexter's name. You do realize that they're beating him. Right? Shut up, me. David slightly steps in front of me, but not enough to block my view. Just enough to show them that he's with me or I'm with him. Whichever works.

     "She knows this guy?" One of them asks.

     "That's not the problem." Another man says.

     "It's a problem, but it's not the problem." One of the others say.

     "Then what's the other problem?" David asks, subtly reaching back and grabbing my arm.

     "He called her Ryder." One of the men say. So what if he called me Ryder? That's my name. What's wrong with him calling me by my name?

     "Boss has been looking everywhere for her." Another one says as I narrow my eyes, confused.

     "What are you talking about?" I ask, trying to step forward, but David holds me back.

     "Rex. Don't." David says, not looking back at me.

     "But-" he abruptly turns, facing me, his grip tightening on my arm.

     "I said don't." He growls harshly, making me flinch. He faces them again without another word to me.

     "You know Boss has been looking for her, David." One of them says, stepping forward toward us. Were they going to corner us? What's the big deal? Something is going on and I don't understand what it is. Why are they so worried about what my name is? Why does their boss want me? "Did you know it was her this whole time? Have you been hiding her from Boss?"

     "No, of course not." David says, letting go of my arm and slowly reaching into his pocket before slowly bringing it out. I can't see what he is doing, but when I glance up at his face, I see he isn't even looking down. He taps his phone screen and then presses something else before just holding his phone in his hand. "They've always called her Rex. Never Ryder. This is the first time I'm hearing this."

     "Then why are you protecting her?" One of them asks.

     "This is Dallas' girl." David says, stepping back, which makes me have to step back so he doesn't step on me. "You know what he would do if I let something happen to her." My eyes go to Dexter. His eyes were now closed, and his breathing steady. Is he asleep? How could he sleep during something like this? Well, it is Dexter. And he was beaten up. "Besides. There is more than one Ryder out there. How do you know this is the girl?"

     "Only Boss would know." One of the men say.

     "Now is not the time to do this. Why do you have this man tied to a chair? What did he do?" David asks. The men turn their heads to look at Dexter, who starts to stir.

     "He-"

     "I'm not sure we can discuss this in front of her." One of the men interrupts. David looks at me for a few seconds, but I keep my eyes on Dexter. It can't be a coincidence. Only after a few days of him telling me about the tattoos and my brother's murder, he's now tied to a chair with the gang he was warning me about surrounding him.

     "Then don't," David says. "There are doors there for a reason." David leaves me standing there before going to the room and giving me one last look before closing the doors. Shutting me out and them in. Maybe I shouldn't have come in here with David. Maybe this was all a bad idea. Maybe I should leave. The door is right behind me. I turn around, looking at the door. Yeah. I should definitely leave before I make things worse.