Chapter Eighteen You Broke Me

Runaway Train- Beth Crowley

     My head pounds as I slowly begin to wake up. What the hell? Why does my whole body hurt? Everywhere was pounding. I hear the shower running as I open my eyes and flinch at the sunlight. Wait. This isn't my room. I sit up, ignoring my pounding head, looking around. I've never been in this room before. The blanket falls from my chest as I slide my legs over the edge to stand when I realize something.

     My clothes. They're gone, and I see them all over the floor. What the hell happened last night? Why couldn't I remember? My heartbeat quickens as I quickly get out of bed and start pulling on the clothes. I only remember going to the bar with Roscoe and having that one drink. Everything after that was gone. Where's Roscoe? Did he leave me at the bar? He wouldn't leave me at the bar. He's a good guy. He'd take care of me.

     Maybe he lost me in the crowd. Maybe I asked to go to the bathroom, and on my way there, I was taken. Roscoe must be going crazy looking for me. I start walking when I notice the pain I feel between my legs. Was I?... no, no, no. I shake my head as the water turns off, making me freeze. I have to get our go here before whoever is in there gets out. I take a deep breath and spot the door as my head starts pounding harder when I reach it. I stop with my hand on the doorknob.

     I grab my head with my other hand and wince as a door swings open. "Good morning." A voice says happily. I tense at the voice. Roscoe? Slowly I drop my hand and look at him. His waist was wrapped in a towel, leaving his chest bare as he walked to his dresser and starts pulling out clothes and laying them on the bed. Seeing him, though, has me sighing in relief. He probably brought me back here to rest. I nod to myself

     "Roscoe, what happened last night?" I ask, holding my head again. He notices and points to his nightstand.

     "I left you some water and Aleve for when you woke up." He says as he starts unwrapping his towel, and I quickly look away. What is up with him? I go to the nightstand, still not looking at him as I take the pill and water in my hands. I lay the pill on my tongue before gulping water to help swallow it down. "How do you feel?" He asks as I glance at him to see he's clothed now. I let out a sigh of relief and look at him.

     "I can't really remember anything," I say, thinking again. "What happened last night? Why am I here?"

     "You said you didn't feel good at the club, so I brought you here so you could lay down." He says, shrugging and taking his towel back into the bathroom. I start to nod, but I remember where I found my clothes that were not on my body.

     "Roscoe?" I ask as he exits the bathroom and looks at me, raising an eyebrow as he stands there waiting.

     "Yeah?"

     "Why were my clothes on the ground?" I ask, studying his face for any reaction. There wasn't one, and for some reason, that makes my heart drop. "Did something happen? Between you and me?" He comes to me and grabs my shoulders, rubbing them.

     "Yes." He says, looking down at me as I shiver. "Something did happen between us. Don't worry. It's okay." He says, resting his palm on my cheek. I push his hand away and step away from him.

     "No, no, it's not okay, Roscoe," He turns and sighs. "Why? Please tell me it's not what I think."

     "I didn't know you were a virgin." He looks at me. "It's okay. It's a good thing. I was your first. Now, we can grow together." He comes toward me again, but I move around him and start backing toward the door.

     "Grow together? Roscoe, you're twenty-eight. I'm sixteen." I say.

     "Two years till your eighteen, and it won't matter." He says, coming to me again.