Chapter Twenty-Two You Know

Red- Beth Crowley

     "Why are you here?" I ask, studying his face. He had slightly lowered his gun, but it was still pointing at me.

     "I was looking for you." He says, his voice sounding conflicted again. Why did his voice sound so conflicted? He narrows his eyes and tilts his head slightly to the side as he eyes me up and down.

     "Why?" I step back but he follows, stepping forward.

     "At first, it was for payback." He says, lowering his gun slightly more. "But now, it's to give you the information you need." Dexter puts his gun completely down and slides it into the back of his pants, his shirt covering it. "Follow me." He turns on his heels and starts his way down the hall and down the stairs as I hesitate before following him down. I didn't know what information he had, but I was hoping it was information I really needed. What information could he know? Why would he tell me?

     "What information do you have that I need?" I ask as we walk down the stairs, him in front of me.

     "Patience." He gives me a look that makes me roll my eyes. He leads me to the living room and sits down while motioning for me to take a seat in front of him. I do, but for some reason, he doesn't say anything else. He just stares at me, either thinking or staring. I don't know. All I know was that I didn't like it. Dexter wasn't the type of person to sit and have a conversation with me. No, he would usually be planning my death or have something up his sleeve. What's up his sleeve?

     "What is it?" I ask, a little annoyed at how he's just staring at me. I mean, I hate being stared at in general.

     "I have information-"

     "So you've said, now what is it?" I snap, doing my best not to explode. He pauses, staring at me in a strangely calm way.

     "Are you going to let me talk, or are you going to interrupt me?" He asks, sitting crisscross apple sauce and resting his hands over each knee.

     "I wouldn't have to interrupt if you would just get to the point." I say rolling my eyes and looking away from him. I don't think I can deal with this today.

     "I would get to the point if you wouldn't interrupt." He calmly states. Why is he acting so calm? I can't deal with this.

     "How are you so calm?" I sigh, somewhat envious of his calmness, envious and almost annoyed. No, not almost annoyed, I am annoyed.

     "Easy, I don't care." He says and I restrain from punching him.

     "My brother is dead and you say you have information, but you're not telling me anything." I growl out angrily.

     "I would have told you by now, but you can't seem to stop talking." He says shrugging. "I don't have to tell you." I glare at him for a few seconds before shaking my head.

     "You know what, I don't have time for this, I have to go. I have my brother's funeral to go to." I mutter, starting to stand. He probably doesn't even know anything. This could just be one of his stupid tricks to get back at me—a stupid cruel trick.

     "You mean the one you just ran away from?" He asks, tilting his head, a smirk on his smug little face as I freeze and look at him. His smirk grows victoriously.

     "Were you there? Did you follow me from the funeral?" I ask, shocked as I sit back down and stare at him. Dexter just shakes his head, which makes me relax a little bit.

     "No, I saw an article about your brother's funeral being today, and I just watched you running down the road before you stopped and came in the house."