Chapter Thirty-Seven: He's the player, You're the game

Colors- Halsey

     I lay on the hospital bed, ignoring Dallas' presence. It seems all he knows how to do is yell at me, so why should I talk to him? I turn away from him, keeping my leg on its good side and crossing my arms. "Okay..." He starts. "I get the feeling you're mad." Wow, figure that out all by yourself? I roll my eyes but keep my back to him. "Are you that mad I brought you to a hospital?" His voice started rising making me angrier by the second. Why should I talk to him? All he does is yell.

     "I told you, you needed to come here. And I was right. They stitched you up and it was close to a nerve. I know you probably didn't want them to see your bruises, but they had to. You were hurt badly, and you should be glad. They helped you. They fixed you up. You could've-" I hear footsteps coming and quickly close my eyes, pretending to be asleep.

     "Is she asleep?" A voice asks. Sam. What's Sam doing here?

     "What?" Dallas asks as I hear him get up from his chair.

     "Why are you yelling at her?" Sam asks. See, she knows he is yelling too.

     "She's mad at me because I brought her here. She won't talk to me. Besides, I wasn't yelling at her." Dallas says.

     "If I know anything-" Sam starts. "You were yelling at her."

     "Well, she's driving me crazy. She needed to come here and now she's mad at me for bringing her here?"

     "Dallas, are you that dumb?" Sam asks. "She's not mad because you brought her here. She's mad because you're yelling at her." Finally, someone's telling him. Could he really not get that? It's Dallas, Ryder. Right. Dallas doesn't understand girls. "How stupid can you be?" Sam says and I can just imagine her shaking her head. "I'm going before I kill you. Call me when she wakes up." I hear her leave. Then there is silence. Maybe Dallas thinks I am asleep too. Oh, I hope so. I don't want to talk to him.

     "Rex, I know you're not asleep." He says. Dang it. He knows. I open my eyes but still don't look at him. "Is Sam right? Are you mad because I yelled at you?" You yelled at me many times. Yes, Sam is right, but I won't tell you that because I'm not talking to you right now. Footsteps come near me, but I continue not to look at him. "I- I'm sorry. I yell when I'm worried. I yell when someone I care about is hurt and being ignorant." He was doing good, but then he called me ignorant. "I'm sorry." Apology not accepted. I'm apparently ignorant, so.

     "Okay, look, you're not ignorant." He says, but I still don't look at him. "I just get irritated when things don't go my way." Well, then, it must be very irritating hanging out with me. I get irritated when things do go your way. But again, I'm not talking to you. "Could you at least look at me?" No, no, I can't. In my rules, it's illegal to. Why do you want me to look at you anyway? "If you don't look at me, I'll do something I'll probably regret later." Like what? Leave? Good, I hope you do. I don't want you here.

     "Rex, come on." He groans. Why does he care so much about whether I talk to him or whether I look at him? "Fine." I feel the covers behind me move and then the bed dips down as I freeze. He is not. I feel him get on the bed behind me and I quickly sit up to move away, but he wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me back against him. This is not good. My side is against him as he props up in his elbow, leaning over me. I do my best not to look at him as he keeps his arm around me, caging me next to him.

     "Look at me." He says. Shit. I slowly bring my eyes to look at him. "Good. Now talk to me." I start to open my mouth to talk, but then I remember I'm mad again, and I close it, quickly looking away. He groans and suddenly, he is laying on top of me... giving me all his weight... cutting off my air supply...making it hard to breathe. Just hold your breath. You know what he's trying to do. Yes, I do, but how long can I hold my breath? The answer; not long. Not long at all.