Chapter Thirty I Won't Give Up

Running With The Wolves- Aurora

     I hooked the knife in the chain and I pulled on it again, for the hundredth time, hoping this time something will actually happen. But no, still nothing happens. This was freaking impossible! A knife can't cut through this thick metal chain. What the hell was I even thinking? You were thinking you want to get the hell out of here. Ha! Ha, ha! Yeah, good luck with that idea. At this rate, I'll never see anyone I love again. Anything I love. I'll never see the actual sunset again. I mean, I hated going outside in the first place, but you know, people change after life-changing experiences. I'd say this experience is life-changing.

     I can't believe I'll never see the sunset again. I'll never see the different colors of the sky as the sun goes down beyond the horizon. The closest I'll get to seeing the sun is that little stream of light shining in through that stupid small hole in the wall. I'll never see the cloudy sky again when it's about to rain. I'll never see the lightning lighting up the dark cloudy sky. I'll never see the bright stars in the sky when it's a good, clear night. I'll never see all the constellations in the stars. I'll never see the moon again, full or not. I'll never see the birds flying through the sky.

     I'll never see my family again. I'll never see my mother's beautiful face again. Her sweet smile, her strong will. I'll never hear her sweet, truthful words. I'll never see her again. I'll never see my brother again, either. His charming smile, his kind eyes. I remember how when I was feeling down, he would always tell me something to make me feel better. No matter how badly I treated him. I don't think he had a single mean bone in him. I'll never see my father again. I barely saw him enough as it was, but I'll never see him again. All I can do is hold onto the memories of them and hope they're not tinted by the horrors of this place.

     "Anything?" The girl behind me asked. I stopped moving and glared at the door in front of me. Why was I suddenly annoyed by her question? Well, maybe because she seems to be doing nothing while I'm doing something but nothing at the same freaking time. I shake my head before I realize she couldn't see me, and then I was suddenly annoyed again. Why do I have to talk? I don't want to talk, but now I have to. This is so stupid! I freaking hate it here! Why doesn't he freaking want us to see each other? What's so important about that? Do we know each other? I don't know her! At least, I don't think I do...

     "No," I responded, looking down to the ground at my chained ankles. "Nothing." But that doesn't mean I'm giving up. I think. Am I going to give up? I mean, there's no other way I can get free... I think... Is there? Well, if I knew, don't you think I would be out of here by now? I mimic myself in my head. Shut up Ryder. Make me, bet you won't. Oh bet I will. Do it. Bet- and I'm arguing with myself in my head. Well, this place wasn't making me go crazy at all. I roll my eyes before looking back up to the knife hooked in the chain. Here I go again. This was never gonna work.

     I pulled on the knife again, using all the strength I can bare... and still, nothing happens. What the hell am I supposed to do now? The girl behind me is expecting something. I have a knife, I should be able to get or go to her and help free her, but no, I'm still stuck, chained up, hanging from my wrists. I let out a breath panting angrily. "This isn't working," I said angrily, more to myself than to the girl behind me. "Nothing is working. And nothing is going to work." Anger was fuming through me like a raging fire, growing out of control. I was scared for myself. If that man came back, me being this mad isn't good. I'd say something bad.

     "Something is going to work. Something has got to work." The girl behind me said. What the hell is she doing anyway? It doesn't sound like she's trying to get free at all. No, it sounds like I'm the only one trying to do anything, so what the hell is she doing? Encouraging me? Giving me false hope? "You can't give up. Neither of us can. We have to get out of here. You have a knife, do something with it."