Chapter Twenty-Four Make A Big Deal

The Dark- Beth Crowley

    The cafeteria is filled with students, everyone sitting at a table or standing in line waiting to get lunch. There's only one person I am looking for and I find him quite quickly. How could I not see him? Almost everyone is staring. Sierra is smashing her face against his while they kiss and she makes sloppy, moist, cringe-worthy noises. Noises I did not want to hear from her during school. And judging by all the disgusting looks she was getting, I don't think the others wanted to listen to it either.

     Why were they even doing this? Why in the cafeteria? Didn't they know people wanted to eat, not throw up? I roll my eyes as Dallas holds her loosely while she claws his shirt and runs her hand through his hair. She was like a wild animal, but he was calm, not really doing anything for some reason. Okay, but seriously, why in the lunch room? No one wanted to see this. No one wanted to hear this. She grabs his hand and raises it, making it hold her breast. He didn't move it away. I shake my head and look out, grabbing a fork.

     "Why are they so disgusting?" I ask more to myself.

     "Because that's just how they are." Archer says and I look to find him watching them too. He shakes his head.

     "People want to eat. Not watch or listen to this."

     "Do you really think they care? Sierra and Dallas, of all people?" I shake my head, moving closer to him in the line.

     "No, I guess not." He nods before staring at me. My hair wasn't covering my face, but I didn't care. No one was looking anyway. Anyone who was didn't care.

     "Dallas is going to find out." I give him a confused look.

     "Find out about what?" He moves up in the line and I follow as he motions to my face.

     "About your face, I mean. Sooner or later, he will." Archer says as we grab our food.

     "So?"

     "Why not just tell him?"

     "He'll make a big deal about it when it's nothing." I mutter.

     "You have a black eye." He points out.

     "It's nothing."

     "It's something."

     "Archer, drop it." I mumble, staring down at the food I wasn't going to eat.

     "You won't even tell me?" He asks, a little hurt in his voice.

     "This isn't about you," I roll my eyes and look down at the food. I don't even know why I'm getting the food. I'm just gonna throw it away anyway. "It's not even important. I don't see the big deal." Archer stops moving in the line, almost making me run into his back before facing me.

     "Again, you have a black eye." Archer states, and for some reason, it makes me mad. Just a little bit.

     "Again, it's not important."

     "It is important."

     "Why? Why is it important?"

     "If it involves you, it's important." Archer says, reaching out for my shoulder before giving it a squeeze. I sigh and look away. Why is it like this? I tighten my grip around my books with one arm and my tray with the other.

     "Well, that's stupid. Why? Why is it important if it involves me? Why can't I just make it through the school year without any problems? Why can't anything go right?" I realize I was speaking my thoughts in front of Archer, but it was too late to do anything. I've already said it.