CHAPTER 2

Escape...

Running away from everything you've ever known was never easy, much more running with a child that wasn't yours, and risking everything but actually nothing.

Maria wrapped the the shawl around her mass of blonde hair which she had tied in a knot, to keep from getting in her way.

She picked up the child, whose spectacular green eyes shone with happiness from the crib.
As she held her close, she felt a tug at her cloth made of cotton. Looking downward, she saw Miranda's tiny fist wrapped around the upperparts of her dress. Yes she had named her Miranda. For she was admirable by all who saw her.

Living in a small house made of plain wood in the outskirts of Town was a real struggle. The place was surrounded by dying yellowish brown coloured weeds and grass, it was the abode of grasshoppers.

During the day, the sun created a very thick atmosphere that it almost unbearable to breath and at night the remnant of the sun caused extreme heat that would always keep Maria up six times a week, trying all her best to put a red faced Miranda to sleep.

Although the place was bad enough, and the atmosphere horrid, Maria never complained.

This little house, with its squeaky doors and leaking roof tops, had once been her shield during the times that she was sought by both the authorities and her once upon a time ally. Augustus.

She smiled thinly, as she picked up Miranda's woollen cap, how foolish she had been. She sat down with the squirming baby, letting herself revel in her memories.

Past...

After her escape from the shores of Navria. She had walked miles with the child, stopping occasionally to beg travelers on the road for anything they were willing to share, ranging from food to clothing and sometimes supplies.

One fine morning, on the third day of the week, luck had shown its first smile . Maria had just woken up and was treading the long dusty road, meanwhile still trying to hide her malnourished frame slightly in the bush to avoid been seen, when an old farmer came along. He took one look at her, and bellowed.

" you shouldn't carry a fin' babe like her and allow the sun to burn her skin. Come on where you heading? "

Maria had looked at the man, smiled a little through cracked wounded lips and continued to walk. She was afraid, this wasn't a time to take to strangers. He could be a killer from Augustus end. She was a thief and a criminal, she couldn't bring herself to trust anyone.

The man waited for her response, but maria gave him the cold shoulder and moved on. Moving his carriage slowly, behind her, he took in her dirty appearance and a frown creased his forehead.

"I'm just an harmless person,I wish not to hurt you nor your child. If you don't want my help, fine, but she's going to develop a fev'er if you don get outta the sun soon."

Glancing up, Maria said. "Thank you for your generosity Mr. I'll just find a shed to rest awhile".

Ebenezer scoffed." What are you on about woman? Do you prefer your child dies than accepting help?. She slowly looked at a squirming Miranda, who was so hot, she could feel her temperature through the sheer material she'd used to wrap her up.

Sighing out of exhaustion, she slowly cleaned the sweat dripping down her neck with a little piece of fabric she'd gotten from the hem of her gown. " I have no where to go Mr, if you may, please take me wherever you go".

The following week, she had arrived in the city of Ponti. South of Navria. The city was very beautiful and its people more beautiful.

Surrounded by thick greeneries, Ponti was a sight to behold. The Women wore nice looking gowns and the men, breeches and finely sewn jackets.
The people of Ponti were very hardworking, nobody wanted an aid, each tasks was done by every individual themselves.

When Maria realized that her maiden skills may not be needed in this city like she'd hoped, she had quickly chose a trade to indulge in.

At first, it was a very tedious task because she wasn't used to doing any craft back at Navria. All she did was cook,wash and clean. Gradually, making baskets didn't feel all that bad and soon, making fine baskets was her profession.

Thanks for reading
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏
😘