CHAPTER 22

Chapter dedicated to @Official_Sadddi37 for your kindness.

The Calm before the Storm...

Miranda couldn't stop smiling, she'd done it. Through the help and support of her mother. She tied her wavy hair tightly in a bun. Moving around the room, she tried to keep her excitement in check but couldn't.
"Mother!" She called out with an excited voice.

"Stop screaming Miranda! What has gotten into you". Maria rushed in, looking startled.

" Mother I finally did it!, I've made something extraordinary and I know it!". Miranda continued speaking excitedly.

Maria tried to understand, but was obviously failing at it.
" What did you do? Stop keeping me in suspense!" She snapped.

Miranda let herself cool down a bit. " I have completed the herbs, I added Rosemary to enhance its fragrance. Mother it smells so good now! You don't have to squeeze your beautiful face anymore". She finished with a smile.

"That is great news, my dear. When would you show it to Lady Latisha?" Maria asked, as she beamed with admiration.

Miranda, sighed as she answered. " I'll take it to her tomorrow morning. I know she'd be so happy."
Her face lost its smile.

"Yes, I know she would be proud of you. Why do you look like that?"

"Mother, something's been bothering me." Miranda spoke softly ad she meticulously weaves her hair, out of habit, whenever she was nervous.

"What is wrong? you can talk to me my dear".

"Lady Latisha, never allows us to use any herbs we make. I know she owns everything we do, but she shouldn't take all the glory.". An upset Miranda moved over to the window.

Maria smiled softly, and went over to her to pat her hair, which was completed.
" My young one, I know you feel that you need to take a little credit for what you've done, but trust me a time will come when you'll take all the credit. Not just a little."

"Mother, if only she treats us like human beings, I wouldn't complain. She's so authoritative and unkind. Herbs and her attitude do not sit well. I wonder what she does in that little room, she's always in." Miranda finished with a huff.

Maria started to reply, when they both heard a knock at the door. She went to answer it, all the way wondering who it might be, she wasn't expecting anyone at this time of the day. All her baskets had been delivered to their appropriate owners.

She opened the door and saw Lucy, Miranda's friend. Maria had met the girl once at the market and had the conviction that she was a good child.

Smiling brightly, she opened the door wider for her to come in. " Ah! Lucy, what a surprise to see you! How are you child?"

Lucy bounced on her feet as if she couldn't wait to leave. Apparently, she was fidgety and Maria noticed. "I'm doing all good. Thank you Mother. Please can I see Miranda? It's urgent." She attempted to smile, but it ended up looking all wrong.

Maria frowned a little at the urgency she heard in her voice. "She's right in the kitchen Lucy. I hope all is fine?"

Lucy moved quickly to the kitchen, sparing just the briefest of glance at maria. "Everything's fine. Lady Latisha just needs Miranda back at the healing house, its nothing serious. You don't have to worry."

Maria let out a breath of relief . "oh that's fine, hurry up, she's in the kitchen!"
She replied, but Lucy was already gone.

Miranda was cutting the vegetables when Lucy appeared looking all worried. She stopped cutting and looked at her enquiringly. "What is wrong with you Lucy? Do you know you could give someone an heart attack with that kind of look!" She said, as she dropped her knife on the makeshift counter.

Lucy sauntered over. "I'm sorry for causing such fright, but lady Latisha is asking for you."

Miranda squeezed her forehead in a frown. "What does she need me for? She knows I'm off today. What could she possibly need? A massage?"

Lucy threw her hands up in exasperation. "I don't know, but I'm sure this is not a time be sarcastic, you're not too busy to save a life I hope? Because it looks like that's what it is all about."

"Fine, I'll go with you, I don't want to get blamed for anything. Just wait awhile, I'll put all these back in place".
Miranda finished with a sigh, as she moved about putting the items she was using back into their shelf. She placed the potatoes and carrots in a bowl, and covered them neatly.

Few minutes later, Miranda and Lucy dashed out of the house. Maria who had been in her room, sewing a dress, looked out the window and smiled.

Miranda hurried towards the part that led to the healing house. Her newest discovery sat idle on the kitchen table, untouched...

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏