Chapter 26

•••      
          A green bird with a black head and yellow wings flew past Miranda's right shoulder. The bird maneuvered its way through a dense bush and appeared at the other side. Perching on a fallen branch the bird seem to look like it was mocking her as it craned its neck to its left and looked on, in wonder.

A crestfallen Miranda, thought hard. She'd been in this bush for days, She hadn't any idea where to go, truth be told she was scared of what was waiting in front. She didn't know what the people of Navaria would look like, and much more, she hoped that the news of what she did would not be known by these people.

She placed a hand to shield her eyes from the scorching sun, she could barely see where she was going, she was sure that the energy from the sun could bake bread with little difficulties, how she wished she had brought some flour with her. She was that hungry.

Miranda jumped down from the miserly branch that was half way in the air, if she had to make it to Navaria tonight then she needed to move faster. It was best that she entered the city at night in order to keep attention and prying eyes away from her.

Moving towards the bird, it hopped backward, as it saw the still approaching form of Miranda, it stretched its yellow wings and flew into the sky, it gave a loud squeal and Miranda thought that it was a sign of approval.
She was moving on.

After so many treacherous hours, Miranda saw the outskirts of the city as she stood on a hill. Unlike what she had heard, it wasn't that exciting, instead it looked gloomy, like a deep dark soulless place.

Miranda swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat, she didn't want to cry, she had to be strong for her self and for her mother. Picking up the hem of her dress, she began to descend the hill turgidly, she'd come too far to fall down, break a neck and die out here where no one would ever find her. The thought alone was depressing, but Miranda shoved it out of her mind, she had one place to be and that was Navaria. Mother had told her so.

•••
    Lady Charlotte couldn't believe what she was hearing, she felt her self falling but she wasn't hitting the ground. Her heart seem to pump at an inhuman speed, her lungs screamed for air but she wouldn't allow herself to breath. She should die, what fate was worst than loosing her own daughter once more, she had been so close.

Lady Charlotte looked menacingly at Maria Gonzalo, this was the woman who had stolen her day old child, she had thought of the various ways in which she would destroy her, but seeing her now on her knees, facing a crowd of people who wanted to kill her because of Miranda, Charlotte realized that she didn't have the strength to do all what she wished. She only prayed that her daughter be safe wherever she was.

The People of Ponti gathered around shouted and demanded that she bring out Miranda, but Maria was unshaken, she wouldn't speak. She raised her head, her hair was a mess from all the dragging and pulling, looking at the face of Charlotte Marcoti, Maria saw Miranda and more, She tried to subdue a smile at the striking resemblance.

Charlotte moved towards the woman, a woman she had sought for so long, she was angry, so angry. "Where is my daughter? She quietly asked despite the uproar.

Maria didn't know if she should ask first forgiveness or answer Charlotte's question. She opened her mouth to speak but no words were coming out, she could see the anticipation in Charlotte's dark blue eyes, the woman was still beautiful even though so much time had passed.

" Where is my daughter Maria Gonzalo? Tell me where she is, I beg you." Charlotte's voice shook, her eyes dangerous and wild.

Maria didn't know what to tell her, she opened her mouth to speak, and hesitated. "Miranda is safe My Lady, where she is, no one can reach her, but I assure you when the time is right you would find her."

Charlotte gritted her teeth so hard Maria was scared they would fall off. Her face was masked in agonizing anger. "I don't want to hear anymore nonsense! I want my child the one you so ruthlessly stole from me!" She whisper with urgency.

People began to draw nearer and the old man, who had talked to her in the market hours ago, stepped forward. He pointed at Maria, who was still on her knees.

"A decision have been made Maria. Since you've decided to keep a killer away from due punishment, you have been accorded to stand in for Miranda and thereby tomorrow at dusk, you will be hanged for harboring a killer and defying the laws of this land. This is our decision."

Lucy who had been in the crowd covered her mouth as a cry tore at her lips, she had seen all that happened, but she was so afraid to tell anyone, she couldn't keep quiet and let an innocent woman die. Miranda was innocent and so was her mother. She dashed out of the gathering and collapsed behind a house, there she wept painfully till a soft feminine voice broke through her subtle wailing.

"Why is such a pretty girl like you out her crying?"

Lucy cringed at been caught at her most private moment. She looked at the woman, surely she hadn't seen her around before.

"It was the only way I could let out my grief. Who are you?" She asked courageously.

Charlotte smiled at the girl's courageous stance. "My name is Charlotte and what should I call you?"

"I'm Lucy."

"A beautiful name." Charlotte said. She looked at the girl again and asked, "Are you in relation with the woman about to be executed?"

"Yes, she is my best friends mother.".

Charlotte's ears perked at the new information. " What was your friend like? Was she capable of what she had been accused of?".

Lucy paused for a moment, she didn't know how to reply, she knew the truth but she was so scared to tell, she looked at the woman and decided that she could trust her. There was this soft aura around her.
"No, Miranda is innocent, I saw it all, it was a set up. The herb that was needed to heal the man was poisoned."

Charlotte looked around and when she saw that no one was around she asked slowly to make sure. "Are you certain of this, Lucy?"

"Like I said, I saw it. Maria would be killed for something she knows nothing about." Lucy said unwavering.

Charlotte knew she had to do something, Maria had caused her pain, but she wouldn't want her to end like this, she had plans for her.

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏