CHAPTER 20

We make a road when there seem to be none.🐾🐾

As she hid behind an oak tree, the wind blew with so much ferocity, Charlotte felt the chill and took a look at her torn and dirty dress.

She could hear the sound of the horses approaching, from behind, and quickly straightened her aching form.

The hooves of the horses got louder and so did her heart beat. She held on tight not wanting to give the riders any clue of her position, she was determined to out wit these men.

One week ago

A day after she left Navria, she had sensed the tension in the air and knew that something wasn't right. She pushed the feeling away and continued her journey.

As she traveled the stony part, she let out a breath of relieve. Finally she could see where she was going!
Enough with the leaves and shrubs. It had taken her two days to leave the forest. She would never forget those nights as long as she lived.

Her excitement was cut short when the outline of a horse appeared from a distance. Charlotte's first reaction was to turn back and head the way she had come, but looking closely around her she realised with dread that she was surrounded.

A man who appeared to be the leader of the group, had approached her, with hands stretched up high, in an inviting manner.

Charlotte looked at his short form.
He was chewing on a stick with his broken browny teeth.
His head was shaven to the skull and at the side of his neck was a branded snake tattoo.
It was no mark she recognized.

As she observed her opponents, she concluded that she could easily deal with the issue at hand or out run these men.

Her horse was not the best, but it was the fastest amongst all, she cringed when she saw that they were armed. Her greatest fear was their weapons.

Beady black iris, started at her, arms still open wide. Charlotte looked at him quizzically.

She straightened her spine, and her voice laced with authority, she asked. "Who are you?

The man a little bit startled by her courage, gave a quick glance at his gang members, who were slowly closing in on the two.

His men chanted strange names that Charlotte couldn't understand. It was like a sort of praise, the man in question swelled with pride and then he answered, puckishly." I am Zoak, I own these lands".

Charlotte didn't have the time for such nonsense conversation with thieves. She had a very important mission before her. But she knew that her only chance of getting out of here untouched was slim. She decided to play his game, and beat him at it.

Smiling, Charlotte gently placed her arm of his shoulder. "Hello Zoak, I must say, your land is quite big."

Zoak, was momentarily taken aback by her calmness. He took one look at the hand on his shoulder and began to feel stirring in his loins.

The feeling of her soft hand on him was indescribable.

It had been a long time since a lady willingly touched him!

"What are you do..ing? He managed to ask.

Charlotte feigned ignorance, and swiftly removed her hand. " I'm sorry, did I hurt you?

"No, but don't touch me again!" He said fiercely.

"I won't. I'll be on my way now. Zoak. Thanks for stopping by." She held her rein tightly.

Seeing no kind of threat, she stirred the horse. As she moved forward, the men who had gathered around her moved away. She was frightened but she didn't look back.

She couldn't look back, if she did she was sure he would stop her, and that would be her doom.

Zoak looked on as the lady rode away. His men threw confused glances at him. But he was powerless for she had charmed him. He watched till she was out of sight.

Later that night Zoak and his men rode their horses in search of her.

Present

As Charlotte rested at the foot of the tree, she tried to keep her weary eyes open.

She would have been in Ponti, and probably have her daughter in her arms, if Zoak and his foolish men hadn't come after her.

Moving to her right she checked for them and saw that they'd once more taken the wrong part. Idiots. She muttered.

Picking her self from the ground carefully, her thin bracelet fell of her wrist, but she was too tired to care.

She carried the bag that contained just one finger of banana, and stale bread. Looking up at the brewing storm, she continued her journey.

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏
😘