CHAPTER 6

Lady Charlotte, looked down at the arriving officers from her balcony. She stood still, her intelligent eyes searching for anything unusual, but all seemed normal.   Charlotte averted  her gaze from the scene abruptly.

It was yet another failure, she thought.

           Taking the steps firmly, her beautiful elegant gown, flowed behind her. She was a woman in her prime, every one admired her. She was strong in the eyes of the people, at least that's what they thought, but she knew deep down inside,  that she was crumbling.

          Approaching the soldiers, she took in the beauty of nature. It amazed her that nature which  seem so perfect, could be so cruel towards her.
It gave her life, and yet killed her, in return.

           Waving at workers who were going about doing their various chores, she stopped in front of the commander,  and said. "I trust you have news for me".
The man folded his cap, that he had earlier removed from his head, due to frustration.

" Yes Lady Charlotte. I and the men scouted the Southern and Western  province, i'm sorry. We didn't find her".

Charlotte looked at him critically. "Are you sure you didn't find her?  You were once her lover, don't tell me you've forgotten what she looked like."

  "My Lady, I'm certain. I can recognize  Maria from a distance".

   Charlotte smiled sweetly, but everyone present knew the smile was bitter.
    " Then Raphael, I want you to find her,even if it means searching the land of the dead!

That woman stole my child, its a crime that I would never forgive nor forget! Find her and bring her here,and by God if you try as much to connive with her,  to betray me, I'll make sure I find you, cut off your genital and feed them to the dogs of the street!" Charlotte gave him a daring look.

   "I prom..ise to find ...her and bring her here." Raphael stuttered.

   "Good. Now get your men refreshed, take as much food that you would need. I need you out of this place by dusk".

   "Thank you. I'll do just that Lady Charlotte." Raphael answered uneasily.

           Charlotte turned on her heels and ascended the stairs in a frenzy. She cancelled all her meetings for the day, and the next.
When her husband, Christopher, came in to console her, she had pushed him away.     
        "You don't understand anything. You try to, but you just can't".

   " She was also my daughter, you have to understand that".

  Charlotte threw him a condescending look." She wasn't your daughter Chris! You can't claim a child that you never saw."

  "How can you say that Charlotte? I love you."

   "I met you five years after I lost my daughter, you didn't even know what she looked like. If you truly love me, then help me find her!".

Charlotte began to cry. Christopher was angry, but he couldn't leave his wife in such despair. Yes, he had met her years after she lost her daughter, he also knew that ,  her first husband died three months before the the child was born.
Despite knowing the hurt and pain she was going through, he loved her.

Moving towards her, he raised a hand to smoothen her hair, but she moved her mass of  chestnut hair, out of his reach.

Christopher knew that he had to leave her alone. He moved slowly to the door. He tried to speak to her one more time but she was already seated on her chair, facing towards the horizon.

As the door closed behind her, Charlotte let another tear drop. She was a wounded lioness, she had suffered alone for too long. It was time to make everyone feel her pain.

Thank you for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏
😘