CHAPTER 4

Loneliness lingers longer than companionship...

Miranda, had suggested on her twentieth birthday, that she needed her own room. And so Maria, had called a builder to extend the rooms. It was done in no time and Miranda was granted her privacy.

As she lay in her room, wearing only a sheer night gown, a candle burned by her side. Her thin mattress, had done nothing to protect her body from the harshness of the ground.
Miranda welcomed the discomfort as she recounted the events of the day.

The day wasn't all that bad. She had sold an orange colored basket, which could be used for picnics or laundry or farming, or whatever it was needed for.

The lady who bought it had said it was for her daughter, and that the basket would sure complement her daughter's flaming hair.

Before the woman left she had looked at Miranda's thick curly locks and asked. "You aren't from these parts, are you?".

Miranda didn't have a response, she had blushed in embarrassment, while the woman had nodded in understanding and left.

Wasn't it weird that a 20 years old woman didn't know a thing about her history?

Since her childhood days she'd known that she was the only girl among her pairs with a different color of hair. Most of the girls had either blonde, or coal black hair. Miranda's was different.

She'd tried to ask her mother why it was so, but Maria had always feigned been too busy anytime she'd asked. Once she had asked her randomly, Maria had snapped.

" I don't want you asking me anymore questions Miranda!, aren't you satisfied with what we've got? Why do you want to dig up buried bones?"

Miranda had walked away more confused than she had been, what does she mean by *buried bones*?

She knew that she wasn't asking for too much, she just needed to know who her father was, but no productive answer was coming forth, so she had let the matter die.

As she lay in her sheer white gown, she thought about her life, and what would have become of her if she had been born in another place and time.

Would she be married? She let out a snicker at the thought of marriage. She knew most girls her age were going about searching for suitors, but she wasn't worried about that, at least not yet.

She'll only get worried when mama mentions it to her. And even still, that didn't mean she would jump into the arms of the first man she met.

That was ridiculous.

Sighing from exhaustion, she watched a fat fly buzz lazily above her head. She smiled at its stupidity, the fly was created to move around and yet this one had decided to dwell in a room that was hot like the devil's breath.

Shaking her head, she turned towards the wall, and closed her eyes, letting sleep comfort her.

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏
😘