CHAPTER 31

Lord Christopher stumbled for the fourth time, he grunted as he held unto the railing, what was going on? He wondered. He had been feeling weak in his bones lately, last night he couldn't sleep for he was so hot and feverish. Taking an already soiled handkerchief from his pocket he coughed strong and deep into it, as he brought it away from his mouth his tired eyes scanned the surface and he saw a reasonable amount of blood on it.

Christopher knew he had caught the disease and he shook with dread, standing straight he ambled to his room he knew he didn't have much longer in a few days he would die. The thought  was like a needle pricking his heart. He moved blindly in search for his room, he didn't know if he should tell his wife or not he didn't want her to breakdown more than she had already.

On finally reaching his door he went straight to his window and stared at the beauty of the evening, as he started on, he heard a knock on his door.

   "Who is there? He asked softly
The maid behind the door replied timidly.
" Lord Christopher dinner has been served."

     Christopher moved to open the door, he looked at the smallish girl before him, she looked so young and fragile, and very much frightened.
"thank you for coming up to inform me about dinner, but I wouldn't be going down because I would like to be left alone. Tell  your mistress what I have just told you."

    The maid bowed quickly and took a U turn back downstairs, as she walked fast she  turned subtly and  saw from the slightly opened door  as Lord Christopher held his midsection as he stumbled back into his room.

***

          As days went by Miranda tried to put the event that had taken place in  Ponti at the back of her mind and focus on the present but anytime she came in contact with plants she felt the chill as it ran down her spine.

One early morning she was leaving the house for the market, the pantry was half empty and the rain was coming , it was unwise  not  to have enough food in the house before the rain starts. As she past the stairs she overheard two cleaners discussing about a very deadly disease that was infecting people, she feigned to not pay attention and was about to walk past them when the redhead Lucida called out to her.

"Hey there Miranda, I hear you got your way into this manor because of your healing abilities?".
Miranda speared her a glance as the memories came splashing back like waves in a storm and offered  a quick smile as she replied, " I am no longer in the business of healing, Lucida."

Lucida cocked a brow enquiringly, "what say then, was your reason for leaving medicine? It is truly a befitting occupation, much better than babysitting," she concluded with spite.

Miranda having had enough of her ramble, picked up her basket and descended down the stairs as Lucida spoke fervently and with so much anger.
"You better use your skills witch! People are dying and a self-centered person like you wouldn't do anything 'bout it."
Miranda let her feet lead her to the backdoor and straight to the market.

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏