CHAPTER 36

Lady Charlotte was in her study room when the guard came in with a message, she asked him to let in the healer and also fetch her a bag of gold, he left after ushering a dishevelled Miranda in. Lady Charlotte was a woman who loved minding her business but the state in which she saw the young girl standing before her made her curious. "What can I do for you young lady?" She asked. Miranda who was still breathing heavily due to fatigue made a noise and lady Charlotte knew she needed a drink of water. She gave her a glass.

    After gulping down the water and successfully spilling half of it on herself Miranda was ready to talk. "With all due respect my Lady, I have come to discuss a serious matter."
Lady Charlotte smiled softly like a mother would do to a doting child. "Is this meeting about your pay? don't worry, I just sent for your reward."

"No my Lady, that is the problem I don't want gold nor silver, I want something  else in return."

At this point lady Charlotte's was sceptical. " what do you want then? Land? property? Just name it."

Miranda shook her head vehemently. "I want the release of my mother in place of your reward."
Lady Charlotte's eyes were wide as saucers, I have your mother in my dungeon? How come I didn't recognize you. Who exactly is your mother?"

Miranda answered softly, "My mother is Maria Gonzalez and my name is Miranda." Lady Charlotte backed away from her desk as Miranda continued to plead, "please let her go, whatever she had done I know she feels sorry."

Charlotte's couldn't hear a word of what Miranda was saying all she saw was her long lost daughter of twenty and one. "You're just so beautiful like your father."
That seemed to shut Miranda up as she asked with zeal,  "you know my father? Please where can I find him? I have never met him because mother wouldn't tell me anything."

Charlotte's already broken heart cracked ones more as Miranda gave her motherly title to another. She screamed for the guards and asked them to fetch Maria Gonzalez .

***
As they waited for the third party Lady Charlotte couldn't take her eyes off her daughter, she had sparkling eyes like her father and long brown hair just like hers,  she saw Henry and Charlotte in this perfect being sitting right in front of her. Several times Miranda caught her staring and she did nothing to hide it, who could blame her? She hadn't seen her child in twenty one years.

     The door to the study came open and Maria was escorted in, at the sight of her, Miranda sprang to her feet and collapsed on her body all the while crying soundly. Lady Charlotte watched them from her desk her own eyes welling up with tears.

After the moment passed Maria cleared her throat and began to talk. "Miranda, I know this would come as a blow to you but I have to tell you the truth."

Miranda moved in her seat as she inquired curiously, "what truth mother? What is it that you have to tell me? I know you just saw sunlight after a long time, but don't worry I will mix you a herb to..."

  "Stop! " Maria said with finality, "listen to what I have to tell you and what I say is the truth. I have lied to you from birth, Miranda I am not your mother. When you were born I was an accomplice with a very evil man who wanted you, on getting to the place where I was to deliver you to him I couldn't do it, and so I ran away with you to Ponti. We stayed there and I told the villagers that you were my daughter and I your mother."

Miranda stood up from the seat, she looked  from maria to Charlotte and then back to Maria, "who then is my mother?" She asked because she already knew the truth.
Crying softly Maria replied admist tear, "Lady Charlotte is your birth mother, I took you away from her. I am so sorry."

Miranda looked at Charlotte and they held their gaze, she saw herself in her mother and she felt the pain she had felt all these years. Lady Charlotte's extended hand brought Miranda out of her reverie, she couldn't accept anything right now she needed time to think, so she turned and walked out the door.

hanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏