Part 13

Maan stopped the car on a deserted road and turned off the car engine. Geet looked at him questioningly.

Maan turned toward her and asked, what was the point of that melodrama on the staircase?

Geet did not reply.

Maan: Geet, i am asking you something? Don't try my patience any more than you have already done or i swear, i won't be responsible for my actions.

Geet:'' i am sorry.''

Maan: i don't want an apology; i want to know the reason behind the action. You have already confessed that you like me. So, why geet?

Geet: because i did not know that you and Sameera were still together.

Maan could not say anything for few seconds and then, said, why didn't you simply asked me?

Geet twisted the corner of sari in her hands and looking toward her lap, replied: i was surprised, Fari showed me the magazine when i was about to come down.

Maan said nothing. He relaxed on his seat and stared forward thinking about how to handle this issue.

Maan: Sameera is my best friend and our friendship will always continue.

Geet was feeling like a worn out rag. She had not slept properly last night tensed about her confession and then, later his rejection, his acceptance, that magazine and the engagement party but upon hearing his words, she felt like a fuse has blown. Friendship!!! He called their relationship friendship and he was telling her that this "friendship'' will continue even though he was engaged to her.

Geet: Are you by chance trying to tell me that you will not leave your current mistress even though you are engaged to me?

Maan: she is not my mistress, she is my friend.

Geet: oh, is that what you call it these days?

Maan tried to control his temper.

Maan: listen to me carefully geet, i will not repeat myself. We are just friends. We were intimate before but now it is over.

Geet but you still meet her, she was even invited to the party.

Maan: That does not change our friendship and dadi ma invited her.

Geet: i don't understand it, how can you be friends after it?

Maan looked outside the window and said, we were not in love geet, its complicated and i can't explain anything to you because it does not only involve me.

Geet tried to say something but Maan interrupted her.

Geet, you have friends but what if one friend is your dearest and closest and that friend share some secret with you which she never revealed to anyone else, will you tell me about it? will you break her trust?

Geet thought about it. Then, replied honestly, no, i will not tell you.

Maan smiled and said, i know it's difficult but i promise you geet, i will never cheat you. She is my friend and you are going to be my life partner, i would like you two to be friends and if that's not possible, then at least try to give her a benefit of doubt.

Maan: And if you hear something then simply ask me about the truth, try not to jump to conclusions. We know each other from childhood Geet, i think we can recognize if one of us is lying.

Geet: i am really sorry about the staircase scene; i was not expecting anything like that.

Maan: well, you know Dev. And as long we are talking about i would like to clear a few more things with you which i should have said to you before the engagement.

Geet: what?

Maan: i am a very private sort of person, i don't share my things easily but i will try to be open with you but you must accept few of my rules.

Geet: rules?

Maan: yes, rules. First of all, i will not like it if you discussed our relationship with others. I don't like people knowing about my private life. If you are angry with me or if we have fight, i don't want you to go running to roshini mama or tell mom. I would hate it, if because of us any kind of misunderstanding or rift is created between our families. He waited till geet agreed before continuing. You know that i am going to take over dad's place in the board. i will betake over but i will need time to make things run my way, so i will be really busy for next 2 years , if dadi ma or Darji or anyone tries to set our wedding date within this time period, i would like your support in moving the date forward.

Geet thought 2 years? he is not at all interested in marrying me.

Maan: And at the end, i would really like it if you complete your studies.

Geet: and what do i get after obeying all your commands.

Maan simply said me.

Do you want to say anything? Geet thought about it then, reply, right now i cannot think of anything but i will tell you tomorrow. I am really tired and i want to sleep. Maan turned on the car engine and said, sorry but you will have to wait, we need to go to the party but we will leave as soon as possible.

.........................................Party..........................................................................................

Party was in a hotel owned by Maan's friend. Maan and Geet entered together. It was beautifully decorated in white and black. Most people were around Maan's age but she knew only a few of them. She tried to stay with Maan. He was really in ease with them.

They cut the cake and then, vijay gave a champagne bottle to Maan who opened it. They made toast to Maan and Geet's happiness. Geet saw everyone drinking, she closed her eyes and drank her glass in one go.