Part 19

Geet reached back hostel at 8 p.m. in a mood to kill someone. After that jerk asked police to take her away, she had to search for a new route to orphanage and by the time she reached for meeting, she was 2 hour late. Not that it would have made any difference as according to the sponsor's secretary, he had come exactly at the time, waited for her ten minutes and then, gone away.

Her dean had been informed of her tardiness and a formal request had been made to replace her.

She knew she was in heaps of trouble. Her university gathered millions of rupees per year which were used for the welfare of the orphanage kids ranging from their proper upbringing, education and jobs placements. Her mother was one of the trustees on the board and her own private charity organization worked in synchronization with the university. Not that many people knew that she was daughter of Yash and Roshini Haunda.

Due to her simple dressing style, her being a scholarship kid most people assumed that she was a poor kid herself. Geet never discouraged that particular rumour; it helped her deal with other poor kids who remained separate from the rich kids.

When she had originally joined the university, she had immersed herself in studies but it had not helped. Maan hadn't spoken to her since that night. In fact, he hadn't even said goodbye to her. She tried calling him, left messages but he never replied.

She had been close to giving up and going back but then, one day the department dean had called her in office and asked her to help them with some kids at orphanage. He had said that she had a personality which will attract children and they will open up to her. She had grudgingly started working in the beginning but soon it had given her a new purpose, listening to the problems of those teenage kids and helping them had given her an inner peace.

The problems faced by the runaway kids had made her realize that her problems were nothing in front of them and they were so mature for their age.

She had realized slowly that it was best for her and Maan to remain separate until time was right. He needed to realize her importance and her real place in his life. She learned that it was good to bend but not so much that she breaks. Good or bad, she had made a choice, taken a decision in her life. She needed to stand by her decision; she had to find who Geet Haunda was?

But now, she had really mucked everything up. She had to meet dean tomorrow in his office at 9.

She took a shower and came out. She shared a room with her friends. It was large circular room with four single beds in it and a cupboard for each of them along with study desks. They used Fari's as dressing table.

No one was back yet. They must be in the mess eating dinner. Geet did not have the energy to go down three flights of stairs and eat. She fell down on her bed and closed her eyes. Her phone rang at full volume. She groped for it and checked the caller id. It was Sameera.

Geet had been surprised when Sameera had called her on her first day here at the university, saying she had taken her number from Dadi ma. She had been really nice, asking her if she needed anything. She called her daily, in the beginning Geet had felt awkward but remembering Maan's wish for them to be friends, she had tried to talk to her and surprisingly Sameera was really friendly. She had given her great advices and always seems to understand her problems. Now, it had become a routine. Geet now even knew about all Sameera's activities and most importantly she told Geet which no one else could do. She told her about Maan, what he was doing, where he was, little things which crept into their discussions but made Geet's day bearable. Sameera also always told Geet if she was going to give a public appearance with Maan. Geet never asked but Sameera always made it clear and Geet really liked her for it.

Geet, 'Hi Sam. You called earlier today.'

Sam,' yeah, i had to go out later, so decided to call you now. Guess what, Maan has been named the second rich businessman in the ****magazine and he has gotten the tender for that Dubai project. So, i guess he is going to be named businessman of the year again.'

Geet feeling a bit sad that Maan had not share that news with her replied,' that's great i am sure he will get it.'

Sameera was quite on other side and then asked, 'Is everything okay Geet, is there any problem? You sound a bit sad.'

Geet fighting the sudden tears in her eyes cleared her throat and tried to speak normally,' nah just had a really horrible day. I mucked up the charity show i was going to organize. I could not be there on time and sponsor asked dean to replace me.'

Sameera,' then, leave that show you will get other opportunities in fact how if you organize a show for me, all the money will go to the charity, i will decide a theme and call in a couple of models who will do it for free.'

Geet,' Thanks but i so wanted to do this one.'

Sam, 'No thanks needed and try to not think about things that can't be changed. When is your meeting with dean? Give me his number and i will call him before your meeting.'

Geet grinned,' okay I will send you the number and meeting is at 9 in the morning. Did you get the jewellery i sent you, it is made by a local craftsman and he is brilliant, but sadly no one appreciate his brilliance, i have already commissioned him to make several anklets for me but i feel his talent is wasted here.'

Sam,' no the package haven't been delivered yet but if the work is as beautiful as you claim, then i will wear it in award functions and try to promote him. I have to go now, take care and bye.

Geet,' bye.'

Feeling suddenly light hearted, she decided to go down and have dinner.

.............................................................

Sam deactivated the speakers on the cell and looked at Maan who was sprawled on the sofa.

'You know Maan you are acting like a 2 year old, you won't talk to her but you have to listen to her voice, have to know what she is doing.' Sam teased Maan.

'Thanks for quick thinking there, she sounded really cheered up after you offer.' Maan said ignoring her comment.

'I might have initially started talking to her so that a certain someone can hear her voice but I have grown to really like her. She is really friendly.'

Maan said nothing.

Sameera smiled at him,' just one more year Maan.'

Maan looked at her and said,' I know. I won't do anything rash.'

Sam,'' you know Maan when you behave like this I'm tempted to call you cute.''

Maan laughed and said,'' don't let anyone else hear because no one will believe you especially Geet.'