Part 22

Geet tried to keep her expressions composed, she could feel the tears rising in her eyes. She smiled at Mama and then, said, I think something got into my eye. Excuse me.

She quickly went to the wash room and splashed cold water on her face, refusing to give into the urge to cry. He had not come. Mama had told her that Maan was going to come but something really urgent came up.

She looked at her watch, only 5 min. were left for the ceremony to begin. Geet went toward the tables assigned to her family and sat beside Mom again. Mama was not present. She had come and given geet a hug but after that she had to go with the university chancellor to discuss something.

The ceremony started, one by one chancellor and others gave their speeches. Then, the announcer said, now at the end I would like to call our honorary guest, Mr. Maan Singh Khaurana on stage to give degrees to the students.

Geet looked accusingly at Mom who started laughing and winked at her. Then, everyone was clapping and Geet saw Maan going up the stage. He was wearing a suit with different variation of green colour. He looked absolutely breath taking gorgeous.

Simran quietly looked away from Geet because it seemed really private. Simran smiled happily, she had been worried that Geet might have changed her mind but the happiness in her eyes showed her love for Maan.

The students were called alphabetically. Finally, it was Geet's turn. She went to stage on shaking legs. Geet could feel her heart pounding, she went near him, he smiled politely at her and moved his hand forward to shake her hand. She accepted the hand shake and slowly looked up at him. The power of his charismatic personality engulfed her.

The past years had change him. The remaining remnants of boyhood were gone and in its place was a man to be reckoned with. He was always a natural leader but now, he was man for whom term like 'larger than life' was originally coined.

She felt mesmerised. She looked into his eyes and desire hit her like a punch in gut. She wanted to touch him, to make sure that he was here. His eyes held the satisfied glint of a male who had recognized her response. His smiled deepened became more personal and his grip tightened on her hand for a second before he released her hand. His smiling turning polite again but the heat in his eyes seems to burn geet. She took a unsteady step back. He gave her the certificate and the photographer took their picture. Then, geet went back to her table. She avoided looking at mom and instead broke seal on water bottle and poured water for herself. Her body was slowly calming down.

She took deep breaths.

..........................................Later that day.............................................

Maan had not joined them for lunch. Instead, he and Mama had dined with other trustees. After, the lunch, Geet went to say good bye to her friends who were with their families. Then, she got her bag which contained all the essential things. Rest of her luggage was packed and Mama had said that she will arrange for its transfer. She looked at the room where she had spent last 2 years and felt sad for a moment, then went to look for her family.

She could not find them, at that moment her cell phone rang, it was roshini mama, she said that they were waiting for her in the parking lot. Geet went there, but could not find anyone. Then, she saw Maan standing beside a green colour Porsche. She went toward him. They looked at each other and their gaze locked. They did not say anything to each other but then, they didn't need it. Their eyes said things which no word could convey. Then, maan took her bag off her shoulder and put it in the car.

They got into the car and Maan moved car out of the parking lot and then, they were on road heading out of Simla.

.......................................................NIGHT.....................................................

Geet looked miserably at the passing sign board, Ambala 22 km, she looked at Maan out of the corner of her eye. He was concentrating on driving. Darji and others were waiting for them in Ambala. Darji's second cousin who was a retired general lived there along with his family.

She gave in and said,'' you went to Oxford for higher studies and you can't tolerate me coming to Simla.''

Maan took a turn off the main road and stopped the car in a vacant area. He turned off car engine and then, finally looked at her.

She waited for him to say something but he just stared.

Geet bravely looked into his eyes for some time but when those eyes starting heating up and in response a slow burn started in her own body, she looked away. Her cheeks stained red. She felt really sorry for herself at that moment, in past, he had to touch her to get her into this state but now only his eyes got her heated up while he remain unaffected.

She was looking at her lap, when strong hands cupped her jaw and made her look up at him. Then, he slowly bend his head and softly kissed her on lips. Slow feather like brushes that gently coaxed her to forget everything but the man beside her. He slowly licked at her lips and wet them. Then, he pulled away. Geet looked up at him dazed. Why he pulled away?.

At that time, Maan said,'' your lips were dry.''

Geet looked at him not understanding, he smiled deeply but his eyes were still molten heat.

''Lets not go back into past, forget everything, he opened the dash board and removed a card and offered it to Geet. Geet took the card, it was really beautiful, about the size of her forearm and done in blue and purple colours. It was someone's wedding card, she opened it and read

Maan Singh Khaurana

Weds

Geet Haunda

The date was ten days later, Geet shocked looked up into his eyes.