Chapter 2

August P.O.V.

When I got back to my apartment it was a little past midnight. I yawned as I quietly closed the door, trying not to wake everybody else up. My brother had died three years earlier. Him being the main provider for my sister-in-law and three nieces, his death hit them hard financially.

Although a hairstylist, a pretty damned good one at that,  my sister-in-law Chandra couldn’t make ends meet. About a month ago, they got evicted from their apartment. Not about to leave her and my three nieces, Chay, Mya and Kay homeless,  I moved them up to the A with me.

It was a tight living space. I had lived in the same one bed room apartment since my sophomore year in college. It was only me, I never thought I would need more than a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room. On top of that, as a broke college student, I couldn’t afford anything else.

I had a full ride to Emory, one of the top University’s in the country might I add, which helped with most of my expenses. And I only recently took on the janitorial job, to help with the additional cost from them moving in.

Chandra had to get back on her feet. She was looking for a shop to work in, but was having no luck. My girls needed clothes, school supplies and food, a nigga had to do something.

I was a fucking Chemistry major, well on my way to going to Dental School once I graduated, being a janitor was the last thing I wanted to do. But when you got bills, pride isn’t an option.

Making the necessary adjustments, my schedule was all fucked up. I had classes during the day, work at night, then had to come home and do whatever homework I needed to do. So if people are wondering where the bags under my eyes come from, it’s from all this fucking work. I never sleep. I can’t, I got too much to do.

And though I may make this shit look easy, it’s hard as hell. I’m only 21. I got the responsibility of a damn near, 50 year old man. I thought about dropping out of college on numerous times, but it’s my last semester. I just keep telling myself, “Aug you graduate in May. Keep going.”

I took a quick shower, then changed into a white beater and a pair of black basketball shorts. I heard small footsteps follow me down the hall as I traveled to the living room.

“Kay” I didn’t look back. Already knowing who it was.  “Huh”, she answered innocently. “Why you up babygirl? You got school tomorrow,” I tried to give her my serious Uncle voice as she ran in front of me with her elmo night gown that stopped at her ankles.

“I can’t sleep when you’re not here Uncle Aug,” she held her arms out for me to hug her.

I picked her up and kissed her. She always melted my heart. All my angels did.  “Well I’m here now, so you can back to bed okay,” I put her down.

“Did you eat?” I swear she was like the little mama of the house. Making sure I was taken care of.

“Nah, I’ll get something. You go back to bed.” “Mama put your plate in the microwave,” she opened the microwave. “Kay…”, I was getting a little annoyed.

“Huh”, she took it out and handed it to me. “Now you know you not gon wanna get up tomorrow.” “I’mma get up,” she assured me.

“You said that yesterday,” I laughed. “I’mma do it tomorrow I promise. Can I just stay up till you finish eating?”

I sighed, knowing she needed to be in bed. “Yeah, but you not gon do this everyday.” I could never tell her no.

 “You did your homework,” she said like a little parent. “I would if someone would let me. But I’m not pointing no fingers,” I poked Kay with my index fingers. “Stop it Uncle Aug”, she giggled.

I smirked and put my plate in the microwave. “What type of homework you got,” she sat at the kitchen table waiting for me to come over. “Gotta read for my Afro-Studies class.,” I rubbed my eyes and ran my hands through my hair.

“About what,” she made clicking sounds with her mouth.  “These four men in North Carolina that fought for your right to eat anywhere,” I got my book from my bookbag on the couch.  

“Like at this table,” she tapped on the table. “Like this table,” I got my food from the microwave and sat at the table next to her.

The good thing about Chandra living here was that I didn’t have to cook anymore. Not that I hated to and not that I couldn’t. A nigga could throw down, southern style.  It’s just with all the responsibility I had, I was too drained to do it.

I opened my book as I took a bite of my pasta alfredo.

“Uncle Aug you need a girlfriend,”  Kay put her knees in the chair and leaned on the table looking at me with her lips poked out. I almost choked on my food, that statement was so random.

“What you talkin’ bout Kay?” She shrugged her little shoulders. “Girlfriends make you happy. ”

 “You bet not be making nobody happy,” I put my forehead against hers. “You got a boyfriend.” She shook her head no. “Keep it like that, unless I’m going to…” I grabbed her up and tickled her. “Stop! Stop!” she yelled in laugher. “Ssshhh, you too loud”, I held her on my hip.

 “Unc not unhappy Kay, he just be tired. As long as I got my three angels, I’m happy aight? Gimme hug.” I gave her a big bear hug and kissed her forehead goodnight. “Goodnight Uncle Aug”, she giggled and ran back down the hall to join her mother and two sisters in the room.

I sat back down and continued to eat and read. Kay’s words kinda stuck with me though. I do think if I had a girlfriend, my life would be more balanced. All I do is work. If not at school, then at my actual job. It would be nice to have someone I could chill with. Someone who could encourage me when I felt like giving up, which was often. Someone I could make love to when I got that feeling. But I had too much shit going on personally to be thinking about that.

I finished eating, washed my plate and pulled out the bed from the convertible couch where I slept. I finished up reading my last few pages, then drifted off to sleep.

Comment and vote you guys! And thanks for reading!