Salazar Slytherin

"You knew. You knew that my parents were bad people, but you didn't tell me" I shouted.
"I'm sorry miss. Professor Dumbledore suggested that I didn't tell you, until you were older. He thought you would understand it better then" replied Saffy, who was begining to shake.
"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shouted. You are right though. I don't understand why my parents would do such a thing. Or why they would have abandoned me" I said.
"But they didn't abandon you miss" replied Saffy. She then began to hit herself on the head repeatedly.
"Bad Saffy. Bad bad Saffy" she said over and over again.

"Saffy stop that. Why did you say that my parents didn't abandon me?" I asked.
Saffy stopped hitting herself and turned to face me.
"I swore I wouldn't tell you until you turned 17 miss"
"I am your mistress now. Your loyalty is to me Saffy. Tell me the truth"
"You're right miss. The Ministry of Magic made me promise. But they are not my masters. Master Evan Rosier was killed by Aurors, dark wizard catchers. And mistress Petronella Rosier was sentenced to life in Azkaban, the wizard prison, but she died after only a few months in there".
Saffy began to cry. "I am so sorry miss. Saffy did not mean to cause you distress. You were only a baby when they took you away and left you with those muggles" continued Saffy.

"Saffy stop crying this is not your fault. It is my parents. If they weren't Death Eaters then I never would have grown up in an orphanage. It's their fault I grew up without love. I don't blame the Aurors for killing my father either, as they were just doing their job. My parents were bad people" I replied.
Saffy nodded and stopped crying.
"You are very brave miss. Saffy is proud of you. Saffy thinks that you won't be in Slytherin. You are good".

"Slytherin?" I questioned.
"Slytherin is one of the houses at Hogwarts, remember miss. Named after Salazar Slytherin. Most pure bloods are in Slytherin. And so are all the Death Eater. Your parents were both Slytherins too" Saffy answered.
"Well then. I will do my very best not to follow in their foosteps. I will do everything in my power not to get put in Slytherin house"
"Your parents would not like it if you weren't in their school house miss"
"I don't care. I am my own person and I will not let my family name drag me down. I refuse to get put in place that is famous for spitting out dark witches and wizards"
"Very wise miss"
"Thank you. Now we had better get going, we have other things to buy today afterall".
I began walking towards the apothecary shop, and Saffy followed me, close at my heel.

"Saffy, did my parents leave me a house?" I asked.
"Yes miss. But you are not allowed to live there until you are 17" answered Saffy.
"I see. But can you take me there, just to visit?"
"I suppose so miss. But I don't think you will like it. It's full of dark pure blood items, and lots of snakes in the furniture. Snakes are the symbol of Slytherin you see"
"Right. Well I don't really want it then. But I do want to see it, just once. Will you take me there, when I ask?"
"Of course miss"
"Good. I don't want to go right now, but when I do, I'll let you know".
Saffy nodded, and I pushed open the door to the apothecary, so that I could buy my potion ingredients.

1st of September

I pushed a trolley with all my bags on towards the barrier between platforms 9 and 10. Saffy told me that this is how I get onto platform 9 and 3/4, where I would then ride the Hogwarts Express for the first time.
I looked down at my cat I had bought from Diagon Alley, I chose a cat over an owl, as I didn't think I would ever need to write to anyone. I bought a female black kitten, whom I christened Star, and she was sitting patiently in her cage, which sat on top of all my luggage.
When no one was looking I pushed my trolley harder and ran towards the barrier, closing my eyes and waiting for the collision that never came.
I opened my eyes and gasped at the train in front of me, and all the witches and wizards, who were wandering around the platform.
Magic was amazing.
I left my luggage, minus Star, with the train staff, and went to find a seat on the train.

Most of the compartments were empty, as I was one of the first people on the train. I sat down in my seat, and opened Star's cage, so that she could stretch her legs.
A few minutes later my compartment door opened and a blonde girl walked in and sat down in front of me, without saying anything.
"Um. Hello" I said.
"Good day. My name is Luna Lovegood" said the girl.
"Nice to meet you Luna. My name is Zoe. Are you a first year as well?"
"Yes I am. It's nice to meet you Zoe".
Luna then took a magazine out of her pocket and began to read it, blanking me completely.
Just as it was beginning to get awkward, another girl with red hair opened the door, and asked if she could sit next to me. To which I said yes.
Her name was Ginny Weasley, and she told me that she had 6 older brothers; Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, and Ron.
Her parents both had magic, but she admitted that they didn't have much money. Which made me feel rather guilty, as I had a fortune left to me by my parents at Gringotts.

"What do your parents do?" Ginny asked me.
"My parents are dead. I grew up in a muggle orphanage. I didn't even know about magic until my 11th birthday" I replied.
"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise. You don't need to feel embarressed though. I'm sure that there are lots of muggle-borns in our year, who don't know about magic" said Ginny kindly.
Ginny was quite a chatty person, and she talked throughout the whole train journey, while Luna was a quieter person, like me. Luna said that her father was the editor of a wizard newspaper called the Quibbler, and Ginny's father works for the Ministry of Magic.
It was when Ginny mentioned a boy named Harry Potter, that I began to take a real interest.
"Wait. What? Who is Harry Potter?" I asked.
"The wizarding world calls him the boy who lived. He defeated You-Know-Who when he was a baby, and was left with a lightning bolt scar on his forhead. He has black messy hair, and is my brother Ron's, best friend" explained Ginny.

The wheels in my head began spinning at a fast pace. Could it be? The boy I used to know, was a famous wizard. It made sense I guess. He hadn't spoken to me since a few weeks before his 11th birthday. If he went off to Hogwarts, that explains why he cut off all contact with me.
I decided not to mention my friendship with Harry, as it was clear that Ginny had a massive crush, on the boy who lived.

Once we arrived at Hogwarts we changed into our school robes, and followed a large man named Hagrid, down to the lake. I sat in a boat with Ginny, Luna, and some over excited boy named Colin Creevy.
After we had crossed the lake we were met by Professor McGonagall, who escorted us into the great hall. Where we would be sorted onto our houses.
The sorting hat sat on a chair in front of the table, with the teachers on. It sang a song about the 4 houses, and when it was done, McGonagall began to read a list of names, out loud. And one by one they made their way up to the sorting hat, and were placed into their house.
Colin Creevy ended up in Griffindoor, and I looked over to the table he was headed to, but I couldn't see Harry anywhere. So maybe I was wrong, maybe my old friend Harry, wasn't the famous Harry Potter afterall.
Luna was called and she was placed in Ravenclaw. After a few more names, it was my turn, and I made my way up to the sorting hat, nervously.

"Hmm a Rosier. Interesting. It's clear you would do well in your family house, but you don't seem to want that, do you? It's all here in your head... Not a Slytherin... hmm... I know where to put you then...
RAVENCLAW" shouted the hat.
I sighed as the hat was removed from my head. I looked over at the Slytherin table, and I was glad that I hadn't been placed there. That was the table where my Death Eater parents had sat, and every other dark witch and wizard in Britain. I had defied my parents, and refused to be placed in the same house as them.

I made my way over to the Ravenclaw table and sat down next to Luna, who was smiling back at me. I looked up at the staff table, and I saw a greasy haired male teacher frowning at me.
During dinner I asked a third year called Cho Chang, who was sitting the other side of Luna, who he was. She said he was the potions master, and his name was Professor Snape.
I could tell that he kept looking at me throughout dinner, but I didn't know why. What could a potions master have against me?