Death at the dinner table

The silence in the room was making everyone at the table edgy. There were two empty seats, indicating that we were still waiting for two more people.
I sat inbetween Draco and Narcissa, so that I didn't have to sit next to any other Death Eaters.
On Narcissa's left, sat Lucius, who had recently escaped from Azkaban, along with all the others who had been captured at the Ministry. His yellow skin and sunken eyes, were a clear insight into his time there.
Although this was the first time I had seen so many Death Eaters in one place, my attention wasn't on them. Nor was it on Voldemort.
Me and Draco were both staring at a woman who was hovering a few feet above the dining table, directly over our heads.

Eventually the last two Death Eaters arrived; Snape, and a man named Yaxley. They took their places at the table, and Voldemort turned his attention to Snape, who sat on his right.
As Snape told Voldemort all that he knew about when Harry would be moved to a safe house, Voldemort smiled. Clearly this information pleased him.
"I shall attend to the boy in person. There have been too many mistakes where Harry Potter is concerned. The fact that Potter lives, is due more to my errors, than to his triumphs.
I have been careless. But I know better now. I must be the one to kill Harry Potter, and I will be".

Once Voldemort finished speaking, a sudden wail sounded, a terrible drawn out cry of misery and pain.
The sound seemed to come from below our feet, and I felt sorry for the poor soul locked in the Malfoy's basement. But I was just glad that it wasn't me, or Draco.
"Wormtail! Have I not spoken to you about keeping our guest quiet?" Snapped Voldemort.
"Yes, m-my Lord" stuttered the man named Wormtail.
I recognised him from my brief stay at Snape's house the year before, he was some kind of servant, that was below the rest of the Death Eaters. He was the one who had brought Voldemort back to full strength, and killed Cedric Diggory.
Wormtail scrambled from his seat, and scurried from the room.

"As I was saying. I must be the one to kill Potter. But I shall need to borrow a wand from one of you... No volunteers. Let's see... Lucius, I see no resason for you to have your wand any more" continued Voldemort.
I began to tense up, as Voldemort made his way round the table, towards us.
"M-my Lord" mumbled Lucius.
"I require your wand Lucius" insisted Voldemort.
Lucius looked at the rest of the Malfoy's, for support, but we couldn't quite meet his eye. Realising that he had no choice, Lucius removed his wand from his pocket, and handed it over.
"What is it?" Questioned Voldemort.
"Elm, my Lord. And Dragon Heartstring" Lucius answered.
"Good".

Voldemort moved back to his place at the head of the table, but he didn't take his eyes off us.
"Why do the Malfoy's look so unhappy with their lot? Is my return, or rise to power, not the very thing they professed to desire, for so many years?" He quizzed.
"Of course My Lord. We did desire it. We do" replied Lucius wiping the sweat from his upper lip.
Narcissa gave a quick nod beside me, and I copied. Draco seemed unable to do anything more than glance quickly at Voldemort, before turning his attention back to the unconcious body above us.
"My Lord. It is an honor to have you in our house" said Bellatrix, leaning on the table, as if trying to get closer to her Dark Lord.
"That means a great deal, Bellatrix, from you" replied Voldemort.
"My Lord knows I speak nothing but the truth!".

Voldemort raised his wand, and pointed it towards the floating woman.
"Do you recognise our guest Severus?" He questioned.
Snape stared at the woman's face, showing no emotion, or recognition.
"Severus. Please, help me" she begged, when she saw Snape.
"For those of you that don't know, we are joined tonight by Miss Charity Burbage. Who, until recently taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She taught the children about Muggles, and how they aren't so different from us" explained Voldemort.

That's when I realised why she looked familiar, I had seen her before, at school. But I had never taken her subject, so I didn't know her well enough to remember her name.
Now that she was awake, both me, and Draco found it impossible to look at her. As we both knew what her fate would be.
"Not content with corrupting and polluting the minds of wizarding children, she recently wrote an impassioned defense of Mudbloods, in the Daily Prophet. She would have us all mate with Muggles, to expand the wizarding population" continued Voldemort, the anger and contempt in his voice was clear to all.

I looked up at the brave woman, then wished that I hadn't, when I saw tears streaming from her eyes.
"Avada Kadavra".
The flash of green light blinded me, and when my sight returned, I saw Professor Burbage lying dead, on the table, right in front of me.
I jumped back, out of my chair, and I wasn't the only one, several other Death Eaters had left their seats as well. I looked down and saw Draco laying on the floor.
I helped him up, and held onto his arm tightly.

"Dinner, Nagini" said Voldemort softly.
His giant snake slithered from his chair, onto the table, towards the body.
I couldn't look. I hid my face behind Draco's back, as the snake reached the teacher.
"I think I'm going to be sick" I told Draco.
"It's going to be O.K. Just don't look" he advised, averting his own eyes from the scene, along with most of the other Death Eaters.
Clearly we weren't the only ones, who found what had just happened, deeply disturbing.