Loss of life

I don't remember much of what happened next, as I wasn't really conscious. When I did eventually wake up, I saw Madam Pomfrey leaning over me, and I realised that she was the woman in white, that I had seen before.
I noticed that a white curtain had been pulled around my bed, separating me from the rest of the hospital.
I suddenly began to panic. If I had been injured in the fight, Madam Pomfrey would have healed me, and found out my secret.
"I can explain..." I stammered.
"You don't have to explain anything" interupted Madam Pomfrey.
"No you don't understand. I didn't break any school rules or anything..."
"I think I know more than you do Miss Rosier".

I raised an eyebrow, unsure of what she meant, as I didn't think she knew as much about the situation as I did.
"I don't understand" I told her.
"There is something I have to tell you" she replied, looking sadly at my pregnancy bump.
My hands drifted towards my belly, and I knew what had happened, before she even opened her mouth.
"Don't. Don't say it" I begged.
I felt nothing move beneath my hands, and I realised what the fight at the Ministry had cost me.
"I can give you a few minutes alone, before the others come in, if you would like" suggested Madam Pomfrey.
"The others?"
"Your Head of House, and Professor McGonagall are outside. As is the Headmaster. Young Mister Potter is also there, but I told him he would have to wait"
"I thought McGonagall was still in St Mungo's?"
"She still is officially. But when she heard about what happened she came here, to see to her students. She will go back again this evening, as she isn't fit to be back at work, just yet".

I pulled up the bed sheet over my face.
"Can't I just pretend to be asleep, I don't want to talk to anyone?" I asked.
"You have already been asleep for over 12 hours, I think you have had enough sleep for now" replied the healer.
I threw down the sheet.
"I have? What time is it?".
"It has just gone 2oclock. It is the day after your fight at the Ministry" replied Madam Pomfrey.
"It doesn't feel like that long ago"
"I gave you a potion of Dreamless Sleep, to help you get some rest"
"I see... Do I have to talk to them all?"
"I'm afraid so. But if you don't want to talk to Mister Potter, then that is your choice".

Madam Pomfrey pulled back the curtains on one side, so that I was still separated from the other patients. I watched all the professor's step forward, looking grim.
Like me, they didn't seem to know what to say.
"I'm so sorry for your loss Miss Rosier, but I'm afraid we have some rather difficult questions, that we need you to answer" said McGonagall slowly.
I nodded my head, showing that I understood.
I knew that the legal age of consent, in the wizarding world, was 17, and as far as I was aware, no 7th year students had ever got pregnant before. But I couldn't be sure, it's not something that the school would want to celebrate.

"I have to ask, was this... umm... act, consensual?" Questioned McGonagall.
I took a deep breath and nodded again. "Yes".
"Who was the father?"
"I would rather not say, Professor"
"I'm afraid I must insist".
"We are only asking these questions, because we want to protect you" encouraged Dumbledore.
I lowered my eyes, it was hard to with-hold information from the Headmaster. I was usually so good at lying, even to teachers, but Professor Dumbledore was different.
"Draco Malfoy" I mumbled.
"This explains why he tried to protect you from Umbridge" replied McGonagall, as she lowered heself onto the end of my bed, she was clearly still in a lot of pain.
"Professor's, I know I broke the law, but I didn't break any school rules, I swear. My child wasn't concieved on school grounds" I explained.

Dumbledore chuckled, "Such a Ravenclaw thing to say. You are always so obssessed with your school record, and how it will look to future employers".
"Not all Ravenclaw's are like her Dumbledore" replied Flitwick frowing.
I gulped, as I saw the look of dissappointment on my Head of House's face.
"Am I in a lot of trouble?" I asked quietly.
"Of course not. You are not the first underage student to get pregnant, and you certainly won't be the last" McGonagall answered.
"That's not what I... How are the others? Did they all make it?"
"If you are refering to your classmates, then yes, they will all be fine. Miss Granger is rather unwell, but she will be fine, in time".

I sighed deeply, somehow we had all come out alive, which was a miracle.
"Well, we'll be off. You need will time to recover" said Flitwick.
Dumbledore helped McGonagall to stand, and the three Professor's left the room.
"Mister Potter is still here, do you want to talk to him?" Madam Pomfrey asked.
I shook my head. The last thing I wanted to do right then, was speak to Harry. He would have so many questions, that I wasn't in the mood to answer.
"Alright then. I'll close the curtains to give you some privacy. I'll be back to check on you later" she continued.
I rested my head back onto my pillow, and the second the curtains around me were closed, I broke down into tears.