Alternate ending

Surprise!
I thought some readers might be dissappointed that Zoe doesn't end up with Draco. So I've decided to write an alternate ending. A what if?
Personally I think after what happened to her, Zoe could never have a normal, happy life with Draco. Too much trauma.
I doubt she would ever have children with him either, after the whole forced pregnancy, and miscarriage.
But oh well. This is an AU. A one off.
So here goes...

I walked at a fast pace, next to Draco, while our 2 children walked in front of us. Our daughter is our eldest, and she has the same colour hair as Draco, while our son has Black hair, like me.
We named our daughter after both of our parents; Petronella Narcissa Malfoy. But we called her Petra, for short.
At first we only wanted one child, but when I had a daughter, Draco and Lucius were dissappointed. As they needed a male heir, to continue the family name.
So two years later I had a boy; Lucian Evan Malfoy. My hatred for Lucius never really faded, so I refused to call my child Lucius. Which is why we ended up settling for Lucian, with my father's name as his middle name.
"Not so fast Petra" I corrected.
Petra had begun to run, when she saw the gateway, but she slowed down when I told her to.

Draco went through the gateway first, followed by our children, then I went last.
Petra was nervous, but also very excited to start Hogwarts, just as I had been.
As we walked through the crowds, strangers gave us odd looks, and moved out of our way. Being a Malfoy, I had grown used to the stares, and the whispers.
It came with the territory.
But I hated to think my children would get treated the same as us. People could be so cruel.
Already I heard the whispers about my children. Some fools believed that they were somehow Voldemort's children. Even though he had been dead for years, before my children were born.

However, as a teacher, I could make sure that any student who bullied my children, gets severely punished.
Me and Draco married as soon as I finished school, the year after the battle of Hogwarts.
We had two happy years together, before Slughorn retired for the second time, and I was asked to be the new Potion's teacher.
I said yes straight away, jumping at the chance to spend less time at Malfoy Manor.
A place that I still despise, all these years later.
But being at Hogwarts meant that I missed out on spending time with my children. Narcissa looks like after them during the day. And I come home once I've finished teaching, apparating in Hogsmede each day.

Petra tugged on my sleeve, bringing me back to the present.
"Yes, what is it Petra?" I asked.
"Can I talk to you about something?" Petra questioned.
I nodded, and she pulled me away from Draco and Lucian, so that they couldn't hear us.
"What's wrong?" I asked again.
"Mother, what if I'm not in Slytherin?" She asked quietly.
Personally, I didn't want her to be in Slytherin, like me, but I knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear.
"Listen to me. Don't think about what grandpa Lucius said. You don't have to be a Slytherin to be a part of this family. I'm not. And your father doesn't love me any less, because I'm a Ravenclaw" I told her.

"But won't father be awfully upset if I'm not in his house?" She questioned.
"I expect he would like you to be in Slytherin. But he isn't going to love you any less if you're not. I promise" I replied.
"What about Grandpa?"
"Well, I'm sure you are aware, that I am not exactly his biggest fan. So I say, who cares what he thinks. You be you. And whatever you are, is perfect"
"Thanks Mother"
"You're welcome... But Petra, do you really want to be in Slytherin?"
"Of course... Maybe not. I don't want people to think I'm evil, just because I'm in Slytherin. I know what people say about us"
"Don't listen to people. If you want to be a Slytherin, then the Sorting Hat will listen to you. It did for me.
So if it's what you want, then ignore those hateful people. They are all rats. And are you a rat? No, you're a snake. And snakes eat all those nasty rats... Now, come on. Go and get your seat, before the train leaves without you".

Petra gave me a big hug, before going back over to Draco and Lucian. Although Draco was hugging his daughter goodbye, he wasn't looking at her.
I looked at where he was staring, and saw Harry, with his family.
"There's Potter's brood. Do you want to go and say hello to them?" Questioned Draco, as Petra headed for the train.
I shook my head. "No, I'm good".
"You still write to him, don't you?"
"Yes. We are great pen-pals. Nothing more. When we were at school, we always sent letters to each other. It was sort of an inside joke between us. And when we became adults, we kept on doing it"
"But you don't see him anymore"
"No. I don't. And that's fine. I think this is the best outcome for the two of us".
Draco smiled, and placed his hand on my back, leading me away from the platform. I took hold of Lucian's hand, so that he didn't get left behind.

When I passed Harry, he smiled at me, before turning his attention back to Ginny. Who looked so happy to have him, by her side.
I looked up at my husband. I wanted to kiss him, but I knew that he didn't like showing affection in public. He was like his father in that way.
"What did Petra want to talk to you about?" He asked.
"What do you think?" I replied.

"Is she's worried about Hogwarts?" Quizzed Draco.
"Yes" I admitted.
"Well, she shouldn't be. She is one of the only students, who's parent works at the school"
"She's allowed to be nervous. Hogwarts can be a scary place. But I'm sure she will be fine. Like you said, I will be there to keep an eye on her".
Once we reached the muggle part of the train station, Draco waved goodbye, as he headed off to work, at the Ministry. Leaving me alone, to take Lucian back home to the Malfoy Manor.