The promise I have to keep

Returning to the Malfoy Manor for Easter, was sort of like returning to the slaughter house. Just when you think you've escaped, they find a way to pull you back in.
With the amount of Death Eaters prowling around the place, even Draco felt uneasy in his own home.
Narcissa's sister, Bellatrix, was also around the manor a lot. And she was completely insane. I guess that's what happens when you spend nearly 15 years inside Azkaban prison.
Lucius didn't seem happy with the escaped Death Eaters wandering around his house, like they owned the place. But he would do anything his Dark Lord commands.

Voldemort kept coming and going, having private meetings with some of the Death Eaters, including Lucius and Bellatrix. I had no idea what they discussed, and I didn't want to.
But on my last day, I was summoned into the room to take part in my own meeting, with Voldemort.
Lucius held the door open for me, and locked it, the second I was inside.
"What we talk about in this room, is not to discussed with anyone, unless I say so. Do you understand?" Questioned Voldemort.
I nodded my head, giving him the signal to continue.
"Good. You see, I have a task for you, that involves the Potter boy".

"What do I have to do?" I asked him.
"I require something that is currently residing in the Department of Mysteries. I have tried several times to get other people to reach it for me. But it turns out, that only me and Potter can remove it from its place, without losing our minds" explained Voldemort.
"How on earth am I going to convince Harry to break into the Ministry of Magic, to get something for you? It's impossible"
"When the time comes, young mister Potter is going to want to break inside"
"I don't understand"
"No, I suppose you don't. But all you need to know is, that Harry Potter will ask for your help to go to the Ministry, and you will help him, to the best of your ability. You will then convince him to take down the object I desire, and give it to you for safe keeping".

"What is the object? What does it do?" I questioned.
"It is entirely worthless to anyone, other than me, I can assure you. It's not dangerous" he replied.
"Yes, but what is it?"
"The item I seek, is a prophecy ball, from the hall of prophecy's"
"How will I know which one it is?"
"Potter will be drawn to a particular aisle, and the prophecy ball will be on it, and it will have both of our names on"
"What do I do with it, once I have it?"
"My Death Eaters will be there, and you will give it to them"
"Wait! So Harry is walking into a trap?"
"A trap of sorts, yes".

"Then I won't do it. Harry is not getting hurt because of me" I said defiantly.
"I too don't want Potter harmed, as I don't plan on attending myself, and I want to be the one to kill Potter" replied Voldemort.
"You swear it? You swear that Harry won't be hurt on your orders?"
"I swear it".
I raised my right hand and stared at him. "Prove it".
He stared at me, assessing whether or not I was serious.
"You wish for me to make an unbreakable vow, with you?".
"Yes. You promise that Harry won't get hurt. And I will promise not to tell anyone about this, and to try and get the prophecy for you, to the best of my ability" I explained.

I thought he was going to decline, but he raised his hand, and took hold of mine. His hand was cold, and lifeless, more like that of a skeleton, rather than a human.
He looked at Lucius, who removed his wand, and cast a golden ribbon around our wrists.
"Do you, Zoe Rosier, promise to keep the contents of this meeting, secret, unless told otherwise?" Questioned Voldemort.
"I do... And do you, Lord Voldemort, promise that Harry Potter will not be harmed, on your orders, in the Ministry of Magic?" I asked him.
"I do" replied Voldemort, through gritted teeth.
Before we let go, I decided to push my luck, and ask for one more promise, from the Dark Lord.

"And do you promise, that when my child is born, it will not be taken away from me?" I asked him.
Lucius gasped and Lord Voldemort glared at me. But the bond around our wrists, was stopping him from lowering his arm.
"I do" he spat.
Lucius waved his wand, and the gold ribbon dissappeared.
"You really know how to push your luck, don't you girl" He continued.
I folded my arms, to look tougher than I felt.
"Well, I had to be sure. I didn't want my child to be passed off to some other Death Eater to raise. I had to secure my child's future" I told him.

Voldemort flicked his wand at the door, and it swung open.
"Wait!" I said, before he had time to leave the room.
He turned to face me, almost amused by my daring.
"Yes, Miss Rosier? What can I do for you now?" He asked, mockingly.
"You said I had to keep this a secret, but can I talk to Draco or Narcissa about it?"
"Narcissa already knows. But I think it would be best if you didn't talk to Draco about this. His own feelings towards the Potter boy, might complicate things"
"Yes... my Lord".

He turned on me once again, and left the room, without saying another word to me, or Lucius.
I had no idea what the impact of making an unbreakable vow, would have on my life. But I was about to find out.
By now, I was an expert at keeping secrets, and I didn't like what kind of person, those secrets were turning me into.