The new Potions master

Once me and Draco reached Platform 9 and 3/4, we went our separate ways. We had already said goodbye to each other, at the Manor, as we knew we wouldn't be able to do it, in front of other people.
It was hard to watch Narcissa go, as I knew she would be returning to an empty house. I knew she was worried about Draco, so I planned to send her lots of owls, regarding his well being.
Unfortunately I had to watch as Pansy Parkinson kissed is cheek, and cosied up to Draco on the station. It made me sick.
On the train I sat with my fellow Ravenclaw girls, minus Luna, who I assumed was with Harry. I hadn't thought much about Harry, during the holidays, as I been a little pre-occupied.
I didn't pay much attention to Dumbledore, during the Welcome back feast, as my mind was on the mark on my arm. I was terrified that someone was going to see it, and I would be exposed.

I was glad to get away from everyone, and head down to my favourite place in Hogwarts.
After knocking on the door to the Potions room, I entered, without waiting for a reply, as I normally did. But once I was inside, I saw another Professor leaning over a work bench, who wasn't Snape.
"Oh, Professor. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to intrude" I apologised.
This was when I wished that I had payed more attention to Dumbledore's speech, as I couldn't remember this man's name.

"No need to look so afraid. What is your name?" He asked kindly.
"My name is Zoe, Zoe Rosier. I'm a 5th year" I answered.
"Well, Zoe. What can I do for you?"
"Nothing. Sorry, that sounded rude. What I mean is... I forgot that Professor Snape was no longer teaching Potions"
"You were looking for Snape?"
"Yes. Me and Professor Snape used to have private lessons. I'm sorry for interupting you".

This seemed to intrige the new Professor.
"Snape gave you private lessons? Did you need extra help?" He asked.
I shook my head. "No sir. Um, I don't know how to say this, without boasting. But Professor Snape said I was the best student he has ever taught. And he kind of took me under his wing".
"So the two of you would brew potions together?"
"Yes. We've been brewing NEWT level potions since my first year. I wasn't that good at first. But after a while, I really took to it. We've been making all kinds of potions, that aren't on the school syllabus for years"
"Fasinating. Who else knows about this?"
"I'm not sure. It's on my school file, so some of the teachers might know. But none of my peers do".

The man scratched his chin, before gesturing at me, clearly wanting me to come into the room. So I stepped away from the door, and approached him.
"How about the two of us try out a potion or two together, to see if we get along, the way you and Severus did. Then maybe I can continue your training. I assume that Severus hasn't over-exagerated your abilities" he tested.
I folded my arms, and raised an eyebrow, I could tell that he was challenging me, which I had no problem with. I liked a challenge.
As a Ravenclaw, I loved to be tested. And showing off to a new Potions teacher, seemed like a good way to start off my year.
I stepped forward, and prepared to roll up my sleeves, as I always did when I was about to start a potion. But I stopped.
This man was not Snape. He was not a Death Eater, and I didn't think he would react well, if he saw the dark mark, on my arm.

I shook my head, and put on a fake smile, so that he wouldn't know anything was wrong. "I can assure you, that Professor Snape was not exaggerating my skills. I will prove to you that I am worth teaching, Professor..." I faltered as I couldn't think of his name.
"Oh, Professor Slughorn" he answered.
"Well Professor, shall we start?"
"I'll follow your lead".
I nodded, and made my way over to the supply closet, and Slughorn followed me.

We worked very well together, and it was nice having someone so complimentery of my work, teaching me. But it wasn't the same.
Slughorn wasn't Snape. He didn't know me, or my story. So I would always need to have my guard up, around him.
But he was a good teacher. He seemed just as knowledgeble as Snape. So I was sure that I would learn just as much with him, as I had with Snape.
After just one private lesson, Slughorn seemed enthusiastic to have me back. And he agreed to keep teaching me, and to keep my lessons a secret from the other students. Which I was greatful for. As I didn't want other people knowing about my special treatment.

Slughorn even agreed to give me house points after every lesson, if he thinks I have worked well, which is generous of him.
Snape never did that. He valued his own house too much.
He also invited me to join his Slug Club. Which is a group made up of talented and well connected students. I'm not sure how I feel about this Slug Club, but I agreed to go along to Slughorn's dinner anyway.
I just hoped that Harry and his friends weren't there.