Alone at Christmas

I was so happy that it was the start of the Christmas holidays, the day after Slughorn's party. As this stopped Harry from demanding answers from me, regarding Draco and Snape's conversation.
I planned to talk to Draco once we got home, as I didn't want to discuss Voldemort, inside Hogwarts.
But when I got the train station in Hogsmeade, Draco came up to me, looking solemn. Which was strange, as normaly he ignored me, when our school friends were nearby.
"I came to say goodbye" he announced.
"Goodbye? We live together, remember" I told him.
"I know. But I'm not going home this Christmas. I've got a job to do, so I need to stay here" replied Draco.

"You're not coming home?" I asked.
Draco shook is head. "Mother is upset that I'm not coming home. But I'm sure that you will understand why I have to stay here".
"Why don't I stay as well. It's not too late to change my mind"
"Your stuff is already packed, and on the train"
"I don't care. I don't want to be at Malfoy Manor without you"
"You'll be fine"
"You sure about that?"
"Mother will look after you"
"I'm sure she will do her best. But I still don't want to be there without you".

Draco sighed, and pulled me away from the train, to a more secluded spot, away from the other students.
"Please. Just do this for me. I hate to think that Mother will be alone for Christmas" he said quietly.
"I care about your mother, I really do. But I can't be in that place without..." I was interupted by Draco smashing his lips onto mine.
It had been months since he had kissed me, and I had forgotten how soft his lips were.
"Now I'm definately not going to go anywhere without you" I muttered.
"Zoe. I need to stay here. And I need to work. We both know what's at stake, if I don't get this finished in time" he replied.
I laced my fingers into his, and nodded. I didn't need reminding, I knew what would happen if Draco failed.
"Are you sure you can do this alone?" I asked.

"I'm not alone. I have help" Draco answered.
I heard the whistle blow, and I knew that I had to get on the train before it left.
"You need to go" continued Draco.
"I know. But I don't want to leave you" I replied.
"It won't be for long. You'll be back here before you know it. And once I've finished my job, we can spend the whole summer together"
"Well then, I wish you good luck".
Draco kissed my head, then pushed himself away, allowing me to return to the train station and board the Hogwarts Express. Alone.

My Christmas was a lonely one, and Narcissa seemed just as upset as I was, that Draco had remained at school. But she still refused to tell me any more about his mission, so I gave up asking, again.
I had more Christmas presents than the year before, but I didn't care. The one thing I wanted, wouldn't be coming.
Opening your presents alone, was no fun.
At the orphanage I had only one present to open. But I got to open it, surrounded by my friends, so it was much more enjoyable.
Eating your Christmas dinner with one person, is also very dull, and awkward.
Neither of us bothered dressing up. I just threw a Christmas jumper over my pajamas, and left it at that. Which was vastly different to the ball gown, I had worn last year.

Harry had bought me an expensive writing set, so that I could send more official looking letters, to him, while we were at school. Which is very different to the book on Quidditch, that I had sent him.
Narcissa had given me jewelery, and I had given her some as well.
Draco's hand written card, meant more to me, than the Potions book along side it, as it had his beautiful hand-writing in it. I had to lock it away in the end, as the more I re-read it, the more I cried.
And I didn't want my tear drops to smudge the ink.

To get back to Hogwarts, I had to use Floo Powder, to transport into Flitwick's fireplace. As the staff wanted a quick and easy way to get all the students back to school. Whicy is why they had authorised this quick, one off, way, to get into Hogwarts.
If it meant I didn't have to sit on a train all day, I was all for using Floo Powder, even if it did get soot on my robes.
I decided not to try and find Draco when I arrived. I assumed that he would be doing his task for Voldemort. So I decided to leave him to it.

As I would be taking my OWLs soon, the weeks back, after Christmas, were not enjoyable. All the teachers were acting like our exams were the next day.
And the amount of homework I was being given, was scary. I seemed to have hours to do each night, and no matter how much I did, it never went away.
But at least it stopped me worrying about Draco. As I didn't have much time to think about him.
For once, my grades took priority.