Initiation

I looked down at the black, sleeveless dress I was wearing, and tried to stop my hands from shaking. Luckily I didn't need to. The boy beside me, took hold of them, and squeezed them tight.
Draco looked just as uncomfortable in his black suit, as I felt in my stupid dress. I watched him let go of my hands, and pull out a small box from his pocket.
"What's that?" I asked him.
He opened the box, revealing a small ring.
"Are you sure you want to do that?" I questioned.
"I don't have a choice" he replied softly.
"No, but still, do you really want to do that?"
"Yes, I do".

I allowed Draco to place the ring on my finger, and drew my attention back to the present. I wiped my sweaty palms on the sides of my dress, and placed my arm over Draco's.
"I'm scared" I whispered.
"Me too" he admitted.
"Do you think it's too late for us to run away, and live as muggles?".
Draco chuckled, "Yes, I think it's a little late for that".
I yawned. "Late, being the keyword. Why couldn't they have done this in the day, I feel like I'm about to fall asleep".
"Well if you do, I'll nudge you"
"Thanks".

We both took a deep breath, and Draco pushed the door in front of us open. I lent on him for support, as the stupid shoes I had been forced to wear, were making walking tricky.
The room was dark, but several candles had been lit in the middle of the room. There were less people in there, than I thought there was going to be. But that didn't take away my fear.
In the centre of the room, stood Lord Voldemort, Draco's Aunt Bellatrix, stood to the right. While his mother Narcissa stood on the left side of the room.
There was no one else there, making the occasion rather private. I knew Lucius would've been there. If he wasn't sitting in a cell in Azkaban.

The two of us walked up an aisle in the middle of the room, and stopped a foot in front of Voldemort. We then, slowly made our way onto our knees, as if we were bowing to him.
"Welcome. I'm sure you will both remember this day, for the rest of your lives. For this is the day, that you join my ranks.
I look forward to having you both alongside my Death Eaters. A potions genius, and boy so eager to prove himself. I'm sure you will both be very usefull" announced Voldemort.
My heart was beating so hard, I was worried everyone in the room might hear it.
I saw Draco roll up the sleeve on his left arm, and present it to Voldemort. I took hold of his right hand, which lay beside me, and held it tight.

Voldemort removed his wand from his pocket, and placed the tip onto Draco's forearm. A second later there was a flash of light, and I saw the black skull appear on Draco's arm.
Being gifted with the dark mark was an honor, that not all Voldemort's followers were given. I knew Narcissa didn't have one, as she was just a wife, not a true Death Eater.
My father had had one, I was sure, but I had never asked about my mother. I hoped she hadn't had one, like Narcissa.
Draco nudged me, reminding me that it was my turn now. I lifted up my arm, and tried not to cringe as Voldemort took hold of my wrist in one hand, and pressed his wand into my arm, with the other.

As he cast the spell, I felt a pain surge through my arm, into my whole body. Draco hadn't flinched when he had his done, and I was determined to do the same.
I bit my tongue, and refused to make a sound, as the ugly mark was burned onto my skin, forever.
Voldemort let go of my wrist, and my arm dropped to the floor. He then raised his hands, encouraging us both to stand.
We had gone down together, and we intended to rise together. I took Draco's right hand, and we both supported each other, as we rose to our feet.
"Welcome to my army" said Voldemort, smiling cruely.

Draco bowed his head, "Master".
I copied him, "Master".
"Congratulations to the two of you. Not only have you joined my ranks, but it appears that you have gotten engaged" replied Voldemort.
I nodded, showing the ring to Narcissa. "Draco proposed before we came in" I explained.
Voldemort turned to the table behind him, and brought forward two glasses, full of wine, and handed one to each of us.
"We must raise a glass to the happy couple" he decided.
Bellatrix and Narcissa both took a glass, and raised it in the air.
"To Draco and Zoe" they both said in unison.
Everyone in the room, then sipped their wine, celebrating the fact that me and Draco had now joined the Death Eaters.
Something that neither of us, were very happy about.