Separate ways

Even though I didn't want to speak to Harry, there was apparently a lot he wanted to say to me.
Despite my protests, Madam Pomfrey took down my curtains, forcing me to see my bedside neighbours, and exposing me to the outside world.
I had Umbridge in the bed opposite me, Ron on my right, and Hermione on the bed next to him. The others in the DA hadn't recieved injuries that forced them to stay in the hospital wing, luckily.
This new arrangement, allowed Harry to approach me later that day, while Ron and Hermione were sleeping.
"Shouldn't you be in your dorm Potter?" I questioned, looking at the clock on the wall.

Harry walked up to the end of my bed, and rested his hands on the rails.
"Just say what you've got to say, and get out!" I demanded.
"Fine! Did you know?" He asked.
"Did I know what?"
"Did you know that we were walking into a trap?"
"I can't tell you Harry"
"Can't, or won't?"
"Can't. If I could tell you the truth, I would, but I phyiscally can't... you wouldn't understand"
"If you did betray us to the Death Eaters, I can see why you did it. You wanted to protect your child, I get it"
"Who else knows of your suspicions?"
"No one".

I wanted to tell Harry the truth, but I knew that breaking an unbreakable vow, would result in my death.
"At least everyone made it out O.K" I said sighing.
"Not everyone" revealed Harry.
"McGonagall told me everyone from the DA got out O.K"
"Yeah, they did. But they weren't the only ones fighting the Death Eaters... Sirius Black, my Godfather was killed"
"Oh. Harry, I'm sorry I didn't know"
"Yeah, well now you do"
"Look, this isn't all my fault, you would have gone to the Ministry and found that prophecy, with or without me"
"Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll never know"
"I did not kill your Godfather Harry!"
"No, but he's dead because of you, this is all your fault. If you hadn't got involved in all this, and betrayed me, he would still be alive!".

Harry was very angry now, so he turned and began to leave the room, before he said anything he would later regret, but I was not done.
"Oh yeah! Well maybe if I hadn't saved your life, my child would still be alive. Perhaps I should've let that spell hit you instead!" I shouted at him.
Our argument, had woken up the others in the room, who woke up in time, to watch Harry leave the room, and slam the door behind himself.
Madam Pomfrey entered the room, as she had heard the shouting as well, and was wondering who had upset her patients.
I couldn't stand to be in that bed a moment longer, with Ron and Hermione staring at me. I felt like a traitor.
I threw off my bed covers, and tried to get out of my bed, but unfortunatley, this didn't go too well.

The pain in my stomach intensified, and I collapsed to the floor. Madam Pomfrey ran to my side, but I was in too much distress to realise she was trying to help me.
I began kicking, screaming, and crying, as she tried to get me back onto my bed.
I heard the door open, and Harry ran in, he had obviously heard my screams from the end of the corridor.
He was the last thing I saw, before Madam Pomfrey shoved some potion into my mouth, and forced me to swallow it. A second later, I was asleep once again.

The curtains were put back up around my bed, for the duration of my stay. The three of us from the DA, ended up leaving the hospital wing on the same day, though I left before them, so I didn't have to speak to them.
I had actually given up speaking to everyone while I was in there, including Madam Pomfrey. She theorised that it was some sort of coping method, to help me come to terms with the loss of my child.
According to Ron and Hermione, who's conversations I often eavesdropped on, Harry had also engaged his own way of coping. By refusing to mention his Godfathers name, or talk about the incident.

By some luck, I managed to avoid Harry for my last few days at Hogwarts, until the very last morning. I was on my way down to the station, getting ready to return to the Manor, when he bumped into me.
I was prepared to ignore him, and carry on walking, but he stopped me.
"I'm sorry" he apologised.
"The way I behaved, it was wrong. I shouldn't have tried to blame you" he continued.
"I'm sorry too" I whispered.
"Are you going back to the Malfoy's place?"
"I don't have a choice. It's my home now"
"Lucius was arrested in the Ministry"
"I know"
"They might want to question you and Draco, when you get back, to see how much you knew"
"I know"
"I'm sorry".

"Things are going to be different next year Harry" I admitted.
"Yeah. Voldemort is back, and this time, everyone knows about it. Which I guess is a good thing" Harry replied.
"That's true. But it's not what I meant"
"Yeah, I guess lots of things are going to..."
"We can't be friends anymore" I interupted.
"What do you mean?" Asked Harry.
"It's too dangerous for both of us. I am on one side, and you're on the other. Our friendship cannot survive, now that the second wizarding war, has offically started. You will never forgive me for the death of your Godfather, and I will never be able to forgive you, for the death of my child.
We will never be able to fully trust each other, and no friendship can work like that".

"I trust you" revealed Harry.
"I don't... Trust myself I mean. I'm not a brave Gryffindor like you, who will always put friends first. I'm selfish, and will often prioritise my own safety above others" I replied.
"I don't believe that. You saved my life, remember. You don't have to be a Gryffindor to be brave, and you are brave Zoe"
"Thanks Harry".

"Will you be O.K this summer?" Asked Harry.
"I think life in Malfoy Manor,  without Lucius Malfoy is going to be very enjoyable" I replied.
"Well, I want you to be careful"
"You too Harry".
Then I did something that surprised, even myself.
I stepped forward, and hugged Harry tightly.
"Goodbye Harry" I whispered, as I pushed him away.
"Goodbye Zoe. Stay safe".
I waved him goodbye, and continued my journey down to the Hogwarts Express, to start the next part of my life.
I may be done with the Death Eaters, but they weren't done with me.