The right choice

I stood with the rest of my house, in the Great Hall, as McGonagall ran through the evacuation plan. While the other teachers, minus the Death Eaters, stood behind her, alongside the Order of the Phoenix.
"The evacuation will be overseen by Mr Filch and Madam Pomfrey. Prefects, you will organise your house, and take your charges to the evacuation point" she explained.
"And what if we want to fight?" Questioned Ernie Macmillian, from the Hufflepuff table.
"If you are of age, you may stay... We have no time to collect possessions though. The important thing is to get you all out of here safely".
"Where's Professor Snape?" Asked Pansy Parkinson.
"He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk" answered McGonagall.

She opened her mouth again, but her words were drowned out by a cold voice, that I knew so well.
"I know that you are preparing to fight.
Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me.
I do not want to fight you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts.
I do not want to spill any magical blood.
Give me Harry Potter, and none shall be harmed.
Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched.
Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight" said Voldemort, who's voice echoed through the room.

Everyone turned to stare at Harry, who had entered the room a few minutes before.
"But he's there. Someone grab him!" Shouted Pansy.
That was when something amazing happened. All the Gryffindors, went and stood in front of Harry, glaring at the Slytherins. Then without any communication, the Hufflepuff's did the same, and then Ravenclaw copied them.
"Thank you Miss Parkinson. You will leave the hall first, with Filch. And the rest of your house will follow" said McGonagall.
Once the Slytherins were gone, McGonagall instructed the rest of the houses to evacuate as well.
This was the moment when I had to make a choice. I could evacuate with my house, and wait for Voldemort to call me to arms, to fight with him. Against my house, and my friends and my teachers.
Or I stayed, and fought the Death Eaters, and Draco instead. Alongside my peers.

I saw a number of 6th and 7th year Ravenclaw's remain, and I decided that I would do the same. I could not fight my classmates. I had to fight for Harry, and for Hogwarts.
I watched the Hufflepuff's leave, and even more of them stayed behind to fight. Whoever said that they were cowards, was a big fat liar.
As the Gryffindor's left, I saw that around half of them had remained, to fight. But most of them were definately not 17. And McGonagall thought the same.
"Absolutely not, Creevy, go. And you Peakes" she ordered.

Once we were left with our fighters, Kingsley Shaklebolt took centre stage, and began explaining the battle plan. I, along with my fellow Ravenclaw's would fight alongside Flitwick.
We would fight from the 3 highest towers; Ravenclaw, Astronomy, and Gryffindor. Where we would have a good overview, and excellant positions to fire spells.
When Kingsley had finished, we all followed Flitwick out of the Great Hall, and towards the Ravenclaw tower.
But as soon as I exited the room, a hand grabbed me, pulling me away from the other Ravenclaw's, to a secluded spot.

"Draco? What are you doing" I quizzed.
"You can't stay here and fight. I won't let you" he replied.
"What I do, is no concern of yours"
"You aren't of age, they won't let you fight"
"Have you been living under a rock? I may be a school year below you, but I turned 17 in September. So I can fight. And I will"
"Don't be so stupid Zoe. There are no where near enough fighters at Hogwarts. If you stay here, you will die"
"Well at least I'll die fighting for the right cause".

Draco frowned. "So you choose Harry Potter, over me?".
"This isn't a choice, between you, and Harry. It's a choice between good and evil. Right and wrong. And I plan to fight for the right side" I told him.
"I won't let you do this. I won't let you die"
"I'm good Draco. You've never really seen me in a fight. But I'm actually quite good"
"It doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't have the numbers. He has a huge army, the Order of the Phoenix will never beat them".

"Draco, you can't convince me to change my mind. I'm staying here, to fight... But I understand if you can't do the same... I know that you will never go against him and your parents" I revealed.
"Zoe, I..." started Draco.
"No. You don't need to explain yourself to me. I understand... But Draco, if you hurt any of my friends, during this battle, I will never forgive you" I interuppted.
He placed his hands around my face, and kissed my lips, softly.
"I love you. And I will never stop loving you" he whispered.

"I know... Draco, you need to go. I have to join Flitwick and the others. I am going to defend this school with my life. And if I don't see you again, I hope that you can learn to live with the choice that I made" I replied.
"Please don't do this"
"I have to Draco".
I stepped away from Draco, and turned my back to him. Before I changed my mind, I continued my journey up to the Ravenclaw Tower. Leaving Draco, and my past behind me.
It felt good to be fighting on my own turf. Near Ravenclaw Tower.
We had the home advantage, in this battle. But I wasn't sure if it would be enough to win.
Draco was right about the number of fighters we had. Numbers didn't necessarily win a battle, but they certainly helped.