The kindest Malfoy

Once I got back to my room, I refused to leave it for the rest of the day. I didn't even come down for any meals.
I just sat on my bed and stared at the walls.
When it got to the evening, Narcissa became worried about me. So she decided to visit me, carrying a tray full of food in her arms, as a peace offering.
I allowed her to come in, and place the food on my desk, but I didn't look at her.
"You need to eat something" she instructed.
I looked to the food, then back to the wall, not wanting to eat anything.
"If you don't eat anything, you will get ill" she continued.
"I don't care" I mumbled.
"Well you should do. You won't get pregnant if you are unwell. Then you will have to go through it all, again".

I hadn't thought of that.
I looked over at the soup on the tray, and picked it up, bringing the bowl towards myself.
Narcissa placed a napkin over me, in case I spilled anything.
"Why are you doing this? Why do you care?" I asked her.
"You think that I am happy with everything my husband does?" She quizzed.
"Well, you agreed to it"
"I did what I had to do, to survive. Just as you did... Besides, you are carrying my future grandchild now, I hope. So how could I not care?"
"Lucius doesn't care"
"He is a traditional man. Emotions and feelings should be left to the women, in his opinion"
"Git".

Narcissa brought food to me for the rest of the week, except on the last day of the summer holidays, when she expected me to eat with the family.
It was the most awkward dinner, I had ever experienced.
We sat on one of those old fashioned tables, that seated about 20 people. I sat as far away from Lucius, who sat at the head of the table, as humanly possible.
Draco and Narcissa sat opposite each other, either side of Lucius. Even though I could tell they would've preferred to sit near me.
The first part of the meal was eaten in silence, as no one seemed to know what to say to one another. It wasn't until we were half-way through our pudding, that Lucius decided to talk to me.

"Zoe. As you go back to Hogwarts tomorrow, I'm sure you aware, that things will be different, compared to your other years" he started.
I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about, but I wouldn't have replied to him, even if I did know.
"You are to tell no one, that you are pregnant. Or that you saw the Dark Lord at our house. Draco will be keeping an eye on you, to make sure you are following the rules. He will then report back to us at the end of each week" Lucius continued.
I ignored him, and looked at Narcissa, directing my question to her.
"But we don't know for sure that I am pregnant" I said to her.
"No. But when you come back for Christmas, we will be able to tell. And if you aren't pregnant, then you two will have to try again" replied Narcissa.

"Quite right. If you are pregnant, you should give birth at the end of the school year. So no one needs to know, meaning you must hide it very well, when you start to get big" added Lucius.
I rolled my eyes. Did he think I was an idiot? I was well aware that I would have to hide my pregnancy from everyone. Which I knew was going to be hard, since I shared a dorm, with several other girls.
"Anything else?" I questioned.
"Yes. The Dark Lord wishes you to get close to your old friend, Harry Potter" answered Lucius.

I hadn't been close friends with Harry in years, so I had no idea how Voldemort had found out about our old friendship.
"Me and Harry haven't been best friends, since we were 10 years old" I told him.
"Well you are going to have to change that, as the Dark Lord needs you to keep tabs on him" explained Lucius.
"I won't do it. I won't spy on Harry"
"The Dark Lord doesn't need you to spy on him. He just wants you to become his friend again"
"I've said that I won't do it"
"You will do it, if you want to keep your child when it's born".

I gasped. I hadn't really thought about what would happen when the baby was born. But I assumed that me and Narcissa would get to raise the baby together.
Not being a part of my child's life scared me more than hiding the pregnancy, and lying to Harry. Letting Voldemort and his Death Eaters raise my baby, was something I couldn't let happen.
I had to protect my unborn child, no matter the cost. Even if it involved betraying my old friend.
I got up from the table, and stared down at Lucius.
"Fine! I'll do it".
I then left the room, leaving my unfinished pudding behind, and returned to my room to finish my packing.
And for the first time in years. I didn't really want to go back to Hogwarts. Knowing the challenge that awaited me. I just wanted a way out of the life, that I had unwillingly fallen into.