Assassin

When me and Harry started messaging each other again, he kept trying to ask about Draco. He had heard that Draco had a mission from Voldemort, and he was desperate to find out what it was.
But I ignored his requests for information. I talked about trivial stuff, like my stressfull homework schedule. Refusing to even mention Draco.
Eventually Harry got the hint, and stopped asking about him.
As Draco wouldn't talk to me, I had no idea what he was up to. But I wouldn't have told Harry, even if I knew.

But in March, Ron Weasley was poisoned, and the news spread through school, like wildfire. Most students feared that someone was trying to kill off the Gryffindor Quidditch team. As both victims had been from Gryffindor.
But I knew that this wasn't the case.
When Katie bell was hexed, she was told to bring a cursed necklace to Professor Dumbledore. And when Slughorn gave Ron a glass full of poisoned wine, it was initially meant for Dumbledore.
Not many people know this, but I know, because Harry told me what Slughorn had said. Ron was his best friend, and Harry only just managed to save him, by shoving a beazor down his throat.
Which means that the real target, of all these attacks, was Dumbledore.

Once I realised the truth, I couldn't think of anything else. Because I now knew what Draco's secret task was. He had been ordered to kill Dumbledore.
That morning at breakfast, I decided to confront him. I saw him sitting alone on the Slytherin table, looking peeky.
And I guessed he was feeling guilty about what he had done. So I took my chance and began my interegation.
"Killed anyone yet?" I asked speaking inside his head, from my seat on the Ravenclaw table.
Draco looked up and his eyes flashed accross the room, until he found me glaring at him.
"Is something wrong?" He questioned.
I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from shouting at him out loud.

"How can you say that after what you've done?" I asked angrily.
"I don't know what you mean" he replied.
"Oh really. I'm not a fool Draco, I can put two and two together, to work out what you are doing. First Katie Bell, then Ron Weasley. Who's next?"
"You don't know what you're talking about"
"Don't I? So you didn't hex Katie and posion Slughorn's wine, to try and kill Dumbledore"
"No!"
"Draco. How can you sit there and lie to me like that?"
"Look, I don't have anything to say to you. So if you don't mind, I have a class to go to".

I watched Draco get up, and I wanted to run after him, as I still needed answers, but I managed to restrain myself. I didn't think that speaking to him in person, would make him more likely to tell me the truth.
So I would have to tug at his heart strings if I wanted an answer.
I left the table, and began to follow him at a distance, but close enough so that I could still reach him, with my mind.
"So, who's next? Who is the next person to get hurt, as you try to kill Dumbledore? Me? Am I your next victim?" I questioned.
This made him stop in his tracks, and turn around to face me. Just as I knew it would.
"You're never going to stop, are you?" He asked.
"No" I replied out loud.
Draco frowned, and grabbed hold of my arm, as he pulled me towards an empty classroom on that floor.

Once inside, he locked the door, and checked that the room really was empty. When he was satisfied that we were alone, he walked back towards me, with a strange look on his face.
"What do you want to know?" He asked.
His question shocked me, as it wasn't what I expected him to say.
"You've been given the task of killing Dumbledore" I stated.
His silence, gave me confirmation.
"Right. Then my question, is why is it taking so long? We've been at school since September, so why have you only tried to kill him 2 times?" I questioned.

Clearly this wasn't what he had expected me to ask either.
"That isn't my only job. I have another to do, that is top priority" he answered, eventually.
"Are you going to tell me what it is?" I asked.
Draco folded his arms.
"I can give you a basic idea, but I can't tell you the whole thing".
"That's enough for me"
"Fine... He wants me to get Death Eaters inside Hogwarts. I have a plan, like I said. It's just taking a bit longer than I thought"
"That's it?"
"What were you expecting?"
"I don't know. But whatever your plan is, it is taking too much out of you".

"What do you mean?" Draco questioned.
"Have you looked in the mirror lately? You look terrible. You've got large bags under your eyes, and your skin is nearly as pale as his" I admitted.
Draco's face fell, and I felt bad for him.
"Thanks" he mumbled.
"I'm sorry, but it's true. And I'm not the only one who's noticed your poor appearance"
"I don't care what other people think"
"Well maybe you should"
"I don't have time to worry about how I look. I'm doing this for you. If I fail, he is going to kill you and make me watch. Then he will kill Mother, and then me".

This made my heart skip a beat. I knew that the consequences of Draco failing would be bad. But I hadn't expected that.
Knowing that mine and Draco's lives were both on the line, changed things.
"I want to help" I insisted.
"You can't. He doesn't want you to help me. I have to do it on my own" replied Draco.
"I don't care. If he is going to kill me if you fail, then I want to help"
"No. I don't want you getting involved"
"Stop being so selfish, and let me help you"
"Zoe, I can do this by myself I swear... Look, when I've succeeded, and let the Death Eaters in. I will tell you, and you will be by my side, so that I can keep an eye on you. I promise that I'm doing O.K. I will finish this, you'll see".

"Fine. But if you need any help, with anything, please let me help. I am very good at magic you'll know" I said smuggly.
Draco smiled. "I know you are very talented. And I expect O's in all of your OWLs. So I don't want to distract you from your revision".
"This is more important than revising"
"I suppose it is"
"Besides, even if I'm not helping, I will still be worrying about you"
"I know... Look Zoe, I really do need to get to class. I have to stay out of detention, so that I can spend all my free time on my tasks"
"I understand... Go on then".
He rested his hand on my arm tenderly, then flicked his wand at the door, removing the locking charm.

"Bye Zoe" he whispered.
"See you around Draco" I mumbled back.
He kissed my hand, then made his way to the door, exiting the room, and leaving me alone.
I wiped away the single tear that had fallen down my cheek. Then I made my way out into the corridor, to head to my first lesson, Draco's mission at the forefront of my mind.