CH 10 I Won't Leave You

(Rey's Point of View)

I’m still sitting on the floor against the door when everything goes quiet. I didn’t think it could get any more quiet but it did. Suddenly a large object appears at the back of my room. It’s really dark in here so I squint my eyes a little. I still can’t make out what it is so I slowly get to my feet. I inch my way towards the dark figure. Once I get to it some light from the moon slips through a crack in the ceiling. What I see makes me gasp.

    Ben is strapped to a chair and he doesn’t look good.

    “Ben?” I ask softly.

    When he doesn’t answer I run around the room to see if there are any lights for me to use. All I find is a couple matches and three candles. I Light them and set them in various places around him so I can see him better. Then I go to the sink and find an old rag, it’ll do. I run it under the water which of course only comes out freezing cold. I squeeze the excess water out and go back over to him.

I kneel down next to his chair and look up to his face. He has a couple cuts and a lot of bruises. His head is just hanging down and the only thing holding his body upright is a strap across his chest.

“Hey, Ben can you hear me?” He stirs a little to my voice but still doesn’t wake up.

I stand up and lean over him. I lift my hand up and gently start wiping blood off of his face. I work around the bigger cuts so I don’t hurt him but it doesn’t work. I must have hit a bruise because it wakes him up completely. Stupid lighting.

His head whips back and his eyes shoot open. He looks around in confusion and I pull my hand away from his face while he does. Then he brings his attention to me.

“Rey? What’s going on?”

“I was hoping to ask you the same question. What happened to you, why are you in this chair?” I ask full of questions.

“Hux, he knows what I, what we did to Snoke and his guards.” He exhales deeply and lays his head against the back of the chair and looks up at the ceiling.

He sees the rag in my hand and says, “Thanks”

“Maybe I can get you out of this.” I suggest and take a look at his bonds.

“I don’t think it matters.”

“Why not?”

“I’m trapped on this Star Destroyer whether you get me out or not.”

I set my rag down and kneel next to his legs. I pull on the metal of the brace around his ankle but nothing happens, then I turn around and look for a rock. There’s bound to be one in this piece of junk. I find one the size of my hand and start hitting the cuff. Still nothing happens. I start to hit it now with helplessness. I know I can’t break it but I keep trying.

“Rey.” He says with so much calm in his voice it grows a lump in my throat.

I hit it one more time and my finger is the one that ends up getting hurt.

“Dammit!” I yell and drop the rock.

“Rey, there’s no point.” He reaches his hand out as little as he can and rests it gently on my face.

I find myself lean into it and that’s when the tears begin to fall.

“Maybe you could steal a ship and come find me.” I choke out through sobs.

He lifts my head to look at him. “I’m not as sneaky as you.” He says with a smile.

I’m crying but I don’t care if he sees me do it anymore. I get up and lean towards him. The only thing I can unlock is the stupid leather strap around his chest. As I’m unhooking it he’s looking up at me. I just try to focus on the task at hand.

I’m so upset because I know I need him. I can’t lose the only person that I have this kind of connection with.

“Are they going to kill you?” I try to ask without bursting out with new tears.

“I’m not sure. But do yourself a favor and not think about that.” His voice is so soothing It scares me.

Once I’m done with the strap he takes a deep breath and I watch his chest rise and fall heavily, now he can breath. I turn around and grab my rag and walk over to the sink. I run it under the water to distract myself. I’m just trying to think of some way to get him out of there.

“Hey. Just forget about me.” He pretty much whispers to me.

“What?” I whisper back and turn around to look at him.

“Just leave and forget about me.” He says this time raising his voice a little.

“I can’t leave you,” I start walking back to him, “I won’t… leave you.”

He breathes out through his nose in what looks like anger but I don’t think he really is. I walk over to him with the rag and kneel back down.

He looks down at me and smirks “You really are a stubborn girl.”

“I know.” I say and smile back.

I lift my rag to his face, “you don’t mind do you?”

He shakes his head no.

I slowly lift my arm to his face and wipe it. We just sit here for a while in silence as I clean his face off. We stare at each other while I do it, and eventually I stop. I ball the rag up in my fingers to leave my thumb free to rub his cheek. He closes his eyes and lets me do it. A tear falls down my cheek and I glance over to his hand. His wrists are restrained and rubbed dark red. He must have fought so hard while they were hurting him.

I sink back down to the floor again and drop the rag, then lay my head against his leg. I feel his fingers touching the top of my head and I close my eyes.

There you are. 😍