CH 26 Battle Wounds

(Rey's Point of View)

After Finn tells me Ben is hurt I leap out of my chair and run to the med bay. I enter the room to find him half awake on a bed covered in his blood. I go over to him and say his name to wake him.
His eyes open slightly and I tell him, “I need you to turn around so I can help you.”
He does so along with a smart remark, “It's nothing Rey, really. Not the first time.” He mumbles.

“Oh I know.” I reply with a smirk.

He frowns, “Not funny.”

As we speak I find some bandages and scissors.
I lay them down on a table and ask, “Do you think you can get your shirt off?” He looks at me questionably. “I'm going to need it off to bandage you, now do you think you can handle it?”

“Course I can handle it.” He replies.

He uses his right hand to slowly lift his shirt up and over his head. He winces and wakes a little more with the pain. It's hard to watch so I reach a hand out to help but he pulls away. Instead I turn around and find any other tools I may need and let him finish. I turn back around with a warm, wet, cloth in a bowl of water. In my other hand lies a needle and proper thread. I climb on the bed behind him to wipe the blood off around his wound. I put everything down but the cloth, reach my hand out to his back and begin wiping blood off of his skin. I do so delicately and as I do, I realize how human he really is. Everytime I touch him he tenses, almost like he’s waiting to be hurt. I put the cloth on his back once more to test it and he does so again. In return I lay my free hand on his shoulder blade slowly.

“It’s alright.” I whisper.

He lets out a deep breath and lowers his head, “I know.”

I leave my hand there until I need to wash the cloth out. I finish cleaning the blood up and put the cloth down.

“Are you ready?” I ask softly, all I get in return is a nod of his head.

He puts a hand on the wall and braces himself. I pick up the needle and place my hand near his wound. He grunts every time I prick him and I wince in response. Eventually I tie it off and cut the line. I grab my utensils and put them in the sink.

“The hard part is over.” I tell him.

When I turn around he's staring at me.

“What?” I say worried, “Does it feel alright? I've never done that before.”

“It's perfect.”

I don't know what else to say so I grab the gauze and walk over to him. Somehow he's still taller than me when he's sitting. I glance up at his eyes but quickly take them away and get to work. I unroll a piece and place it on his chest.

“Could you hold that there for me?” I ask him and he does so.

Next I lean in to him and put my arms around him to hand myself the gauze. Once I've done it a few times and it has covered his wound I take the scissors and cut it short. I go to tie it off and he pushes a piece of hair out of my face. I finish off the knot and let his hand fall down to my side. I place my hand on his and follow it up to his shoulder. Then his neck to find his hair. I twirl it between my fingers a few times and then run my whole hand through his hair. He pulls me in and kisses my cheek. Then he lets his head fall to my shoulder and I bring mine to his. I bring my other hand up to his neck and hug him while he brings both of his hands to my back to do the same. We hold each other for a while like this and as I close my eyes, all my anxieties melt away.

First of all I'd like to point out that the artwork belongs to Heidi Hastings. She's on Instagram as @thereylo333. She's an amazing artist and probably my favorite considering Reylo art, she's so talented! I urge you guys to follow her and give her some love of you have Instagram.

Anywho I hope you like this chapter and I'm sorry it's short.