CH 27 A Dream, Or A Nightmare

(Ben Solo's Point of View)

Eventually Rey raises her head and starts cleaning up my bloody mess.

When she finishes I say “Thank you.”

She smiles and asks if she should find my mother. I ask her to find me a shirt first.

She glances at the wounds sprayed across my chest and says “Of course.”

When she gets back she insists to help me so I don't tear her stitches, so I let her. Once she leaves to get my mother I'm instantly terrified. I haven't seen her in years and I've recently killed my father so I don't expect us to be on the best of terms. I'm sure she hates me. That's not too far off from how I feel about her. The day she abandoned me and left me to her brother I've resented her. She just threw me away and never took into consideration what I wanted. All I wanted was my family back. I guess she never realized this since she stopped visiting me after a while.

“The resistance needs me.” She would always say. But so did I.

My back is in so much pain, so I stand up slowly to get some meds. Once I start attempting to stand up straight I close my eyes in hurt. When I open them my mother is standing before me, watching me. I can't imagine what she's thinking and I'm almost tempted to read her mind.

Eventually she steps a little closer to say, “I missed you.”, clearly holding back tears.

For a moment my whole world felt like it stopped. My wound no longer hurt, the future didn't matter, and I wasn't afraid. My mother loves me and I can tell. There's nothing more she can give me, that I've ever wanted from her. I should be upset, for it shouldn't have taken this long for her to want me. But in this still moment I can't remember all the times I was angry she told me we couldn't see each other, or she would talk in secret with Luke about me. All I can remember is the lack of love from my mother for so long, I fall for it instantly. All of a sudden I realize a tear is falling down my cheek. My mother runs to me and once she puts her arms around me she too is crying. I squeeze back and we hold each for who knows how long.

All I can say to her is “I'm sorr-”

“I know,” She says before I can finish, “me too.”

Once I recollect myself I let go of her. She smiles and wipes her tears.

“I'm going to get some medication.” I say as an excuse to turn around and wipe the tears of my own.

As I'm looking for them through the cupboards she asks, “What for?”

“I just got hit in the back, it’s nothing.”

“With what?”

“A blaster shot. But it's fine, really m- mom.” It's been a while since I called her mom and I'm still getting used to it again.

“As tough as I remember.” She smiles at me.

I return it with a weak smile as I remember the bowcaster shot Chewie gave me, and why he did it. I'm certainly not bringing that up. Speaking of Chewie, I haven't gotten to talk to him yet. I doubt our reunion will go as well as with my mother.

“There they are.” I find the meds and take some.

Once I turn around I find that neither of us have anything left to say to each other. There's just too much to catch up on and I'd rather not recount the terrible things I've done in the past few years to my mother.

Scrambling for something to say I ask, “Where are we going? Where have you been?”

Almost reluctant, she answers slowly “The Outer Rim.”

I can see why she wouldn't want to tell me. She's the general of the resistance, and I'm the former leader of The First Order. I agree, that I don't deserve to know her plans. I nod and someone shouts her name from the cockpit.

She shouts back “Not now!” Clearly realizing she shouldn't leave her son for the first time.

That alone is enough for me so I say, “It's okay, I need some rest anyways.”

“Are you sure?” She asks.

“Yes.” I smile.

I walk over to her, bend down and kiss her forehead softly. She's so small, I don't remember ever being taller than her. I need to forget about the things we missed and focus on us now.

She leaves me to find the source of her call. I leave her to find a bed.

--Hours later, the middle of the night.--

I open my eyes slowly to darkness. Something woke me but I'm not quite sure what. I decide to get out of bed and find out. I put my hand on the bed and push myself up slowly. I breathe out in pain and groan through it. Once I'm in a sitting position I take a deep breath and relax. I run my fingers through my hair and yawn.

Then I feel something. A panicked feeling, but it's not mine. I get up quicker than I should have, but this time curiosity masks the pain. I open my door and exit my room. Without a clue as where I'm going, I make my way to the cockpit. The halls are dark and quiet. I don't even hear the low humming of the Falcon. When I get to the cockpit I find it empty and the controls are all off. I look up to the window and it's as dark outside as it is in here. We must've landed. Again I feel the weird feeling and I turn around in a hurry. I walk out of the cockpit and it gets stronger. I follow the distressing feeling and it begins to worry me. Is someone hurt?

Then I come upon a room with a closed door. This feeling is stronger than ever now and it must be coming from inside. I decide to take a look, and open the door. It’s just light enough to make out someone in their bed. I walk closer a few steps and hear a muffled yelp. I lean in and realize it's Rey in the bed.

She cries “no.” quietly.

I exhale in relief, it's just a dream, or a nightmare. She appears to be crying in her sleep. Definitely a nightmare. Should I wake her? I feel so helpless watching her in this state. I decide to try and lightly wake her.

I sit down on the side of her bed and whisper “Rey.”

Nothing happens and she even starts to toss and turn. I lean in, place my hand on her shoulder, and whisper her name again. When she still doesn't wake up I say it slightly louder. Then all of a sudden her eyes shoot open and she gasps. She shoves my arm away, hits me, and backs up.

“No! Get away from me!” She practically yells.

“Hey, hey it's okay. It's just me….. It's Ben.” I quickly explain.

“What?” She cries softly.

“You're okay, you were having a nightmare.”

“It wasn't real?” She asks genuinely confused.

“No, you were just sleeping.” I whisper to her.

“Wasn't real? Did I hit..?” She starts to ask.

I reach my arm out to her shoulder to calm her a little and answer her.

“Yes but I'm fine, really.”

She takes a deep breath and shuts her eyes. Then the tears start to fall. I get closer to her, pull her into an embrace and she shrinks into me. I wrap one arm around her back and place the other on the back of her head.

I quietly tell her “It's okay.”

I reach for one of the blankets on the bed without moving too much and wrap it around her. Then I lay my head back against the wall and hold her until we fall asleep.

So I'd say this was a pretty successful chapter and very fun to write. I was trying my best to keep it away from CRINGEY. We'll see what you guys think. Sorry for  being away for so long. Hope y'all like this chapter! ❤