CH 31 Ideas

(Rey's Point of View)

A few tents are finally up and a fire in the middle of them. I haven't slept outside in a while so this should be exciting. Gradually everyone finds a seat around the fire and starts eating. Surprisingly Poe managed to find something edible in the forest. Upon asking what it was he said we didn't want to know. I'm sure I've eaten worse so I don't get picky. Rose on the other hand insists on canned goods found in the Falcon.

     Whatever it is we all have our fill and settle down. I'm tired but try to run some possible scenarios through my head of how to outsmart our enemy. Each idea I conjure ends up being too risky or unlikely to work.

     So lost in thought I don't even hear Finn say my name. It isn't until Ben repeats him that I look up from the ground. 

     "Hmm?" I ask, unsure of what they want.

     "What's going on in that head of yours?" Finn asks curiously. 

     "She won't stop thinking about the First Order." Ben answers him.

     "Hey!" I smile and push him. 

     "What?" He chuckles, "Your thoughts are louder than this campfire." He makes like he's gonna push me back but instead grabs me into an embrace. I relax into his arms and look back up at Finn.

     "He's right. I just can't figure out how to get us out of this mess." I try to ignore the way everyone looks uncomfortable at how Ben and I act around each other. Rose makes it obvious as she averts her eyes to something else.

     "It doesn't have to be up to you. We'll all figure out something together." He replies sincerely.

     "I know. It's just hard not to think about."

     "As it always has been." Leia chimes in.

     "What do you mean?" Rose finally speaks up.

     "Well, leaders have been making difficult decisions for decades. It wasn't easy even during the days of the Galactic Republic."

     "What was it like? The Republic?" Finn chimes in.

     "I wasn't around for it but my parents were heavily involved in the politics. It was a time of Jedi, war, strategy, and togetherness. With the power of the council they were always planning together, much like we do now." 

     I could almost see Leia reminiscing inside her mind. She must miss her parents dearly. I know far too much what that's like. Though my dreams revealing what my father truly was is enough to stop missing him. My mother though, remains almost a mystery to me.

     "The Jedi and the Sith are to blame for it's collapse." Ben shares his knowledge of the past with us too. 

     "I cannot argue with you there son. The war has always been between light and dark. It is a shame the common folk were caught in the crossfire." 

     As if a spark went off in my head I sit up straight next to Ben. He lifts his arm up surprised.

     What if… "Do you think it would be possible for the Republic to work again?" I ask Leia directly. 

     "Rey, with the war between the Resistance and the First Order, I don't believe they could ever be as united as they were long ago." She says sadly.

     "But if someone could…. bring them together. Do you think it could work? Maybe even last?"

     "It's been tried before, I think once is enough to prove it isn't possible." Poe remarks. 

     "It collapsed because of the Jedi and Sith. What if we took those factors out?" I really feel like I'm on to something.

     "That might be enough." Finn smiles.

     My heart beats faster as our insignificant plan grows larger. 

     "How would we convince the First Order to join? All they crave is absolute power." Rose glares at Ben but I ignore it again, this is too important.

     "Rey is right, maybe we just need the right person to convince them!" Now Poe is smiling excitedly. 

     "But who?" Finn asks rhetorically, but Leia answers. 

     "Actually, I might know just the person."