Chapter 3 I wanna see the dirt

"You-you're..." I stuttered.

He took off his hat and ran his fingers through his hair nervously, offering a smile. "Yeah, I should probably introduce myself (A/N anybody get? XD)." He stuck his hand out. "I'm Patrick."

I was going to take his hand, but screw that. This guy saved my life so many times, more than he'll ever know. I hugged him so hard, and I felt him tense up, but then hug back. "Thank you."

"For what? I haven't done anything." He said with a chuckle.

"You've done more than you realize." I whispered. I then released him from the hug, realizing how weird that might have been. "Sorry. That was probably awkward." I said, pushing my, his, glasses up my nose.

He chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm used to it. I'm awkward too."I started to fidget with my hands when he spoke up. "You never answered my question, though."

I looked up at him. "What question?"

"How old are you?" He asked.

I walked to the nearest wall and slid down, making myself comfortable on the floor. "I am sixteen, turning seventeen next month."

Patrick followed and sat on the floor next to me. "You must be excited, huh?"

I gave a dry laugh. "No, not really. For me, it's just another year until I get kicked out of this place and then I'm homeless on the streets." I then looked over at Patrick, who looked sad. I automatically recognized that look. "No, please don't do that."

He cocked his head slightly. "Do what?"

"Do-" I gestured to all of him frustratingly. "That! The pity! I don't want or need it."

He sighed and looked down. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. And it wasn't pity."

I looked at him, confused. "Then what was it?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Just not that, I guess." I laughed at that. I don't know why, but I found that overly amusing. He looked at me with mock offense. "Hey! Are you laughing at me?"

I shook my head, trying to control my giggles. "No. This isn't laughing. I'm just choking on the air."

Patrick laughed too. "Hey! I'm supposed to be the sassy one here!"

I snapped my fingers at him. "Not anymore, you're not. You entered my realm, and now you get the sass and sarcasm with it."

Patrick looked around the room with amusement. "Ah, so this is your realm?"

"Yup," I said, standing up and walking to my bed. "It's not much, but it's mine."

Patrick walked over to my dresser and held up an old monkey hat that I got when I was twelve. He then proceeded to put the hat on over his fedora. He turned to me. "How do I look?"

I clapped my hands. "You look ready for the runway!"

He then walked the length of the room dramatically, and when he got to the end, he struck a dramatic pose, which made me laugh. Just then, Ms. Bell burst in. "Raven, get your- oh." She said when she saw Patrick. "I see you found our little troublemaker here."

Patrick took off the hat and put it on the dresser. "Trouble?"

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't do anything."

"Tell that to Courtney. She says otherwise." Ms. Bell said, placing a hand on her large hip. "Mr. Stump, if you would follow me, you never finished talking to the other girls."

Patrick looked at me with a small smile. "I don't think I want to. I found who I want."

Ms. Bell followed his gaze, which landed on me. "Are you sure? Her history is so-"

"I'm positive. I want to adopt Raven."

A/N

Here's my third chapter! To the 2 readers out there, thanks bunches for the reads! Don't be shy out there! The first person to comment will get a tag in the next chapter, regardless if it's been published!

Love form the other side of the screen,

Pebbs xx