Chapter 15 But we are alive

Some princes don't become kings
Even at the best times I'm out of my mind
You only get what you grieve
Are you smelling that shit?
Eau de résistance

Raven's POV

"Hey, Raven? How do you feel about school?"

I pulled away from the hug and looked at him. "You know, you totally just ruined the moment, Dad." I said, running my hand through my hair.

"Sorry. But it's an important conversation to have." Patrick said, rubbing the back of his neck.

I sighed. "I don't know how I feel about school. I've always been homeschooled, so I don't know about going to public school."

Patrick smiled. "Then now would be the perfect time to start going to public school!"

"But I start chemo on Friday and it's Sunday." I said slowly, eyeing him. I was confused because how on earth would I even pass school if I was gonna be gone most of the time with chemo. In my opinion, online school would just be better for me.

"Yeah, I know. But you won't always be in chemo." Patrick pointed out.

I sighed again and walked over to the nearest couch and sat down. "You don't know that."

Patrick followed me and sat down on my left side. "I do. Because I know that this isn't gonna get the best of you."

I felt the couch depress next to me. "Hey, Pete." I said with a smile.

"Hey, kiddo." He said with a goofy smile. "Whatcha guys talking about?"

I put on my best pouting face. "Dad wants to make me go to school."

"Really, Patrick?" Pete asked, his brown eyes twinkling with mischief. He then reached over and hugged me protectively. "You want to put such an innocent creature in a hellhole like that?"

"Is someone talking about school?" Joe asked, still rocking his pink hair and carrying a mug of coffee.

I laughed. "Yeah. What made you realize that we were talking about school?"

Joe took a moment to think before nodding. "I heard the word 'hellhole'."

"See! Exactly! School is a hellhole and why would you want to put your daughter in a hellhole?" I asked. I was sure that I was getting Patrick on my side, high-fiving Pete and Joe. Then Andy walked in.

"Because you need to learn. And you need friends." Andy said casually, sitting down on the sofa next to Patrick.

"Hey! I have friends!" I said defensively.

Andy blushed considerably and looked down, but that didn't stop Patrick. "Oh, really? From where?"

I thought for a second. Once I thought about it, I guess Andy was right. I didn't have any friends. "It looks to me like you don't have any friends, Raven." Andy said.

"Hey, whose side are you on in this whole debate?" I asked with a smile. I didn't answer his question because I didn't want to acknowledge the fact that he was right. Andy high fived Patrick with a smile. "What? That's not fair!"

Patrick looked at me innocently. "But you have us outnumbered! You've got three, we have two!"

"So I don't have to go to school?" I asked, my hopes rising.

"Yeah, that's what that means, right?" Pete asked.

"I'm not asking that cause they already did." Joe said, sipping his coffee.

"Um, no. You're still going." Patrick said, laughing.

"Ugh!" I said, collapsing on Pete's lap while Pete laughed and glared at Patrick at the same time. "Your cool Dad status just went down."

Patrick gave me a mock offended look. "What? I am a cool dad!"

I looked up at him. "I said you are a cool dad. But you just got less cool."

Patrick stood up and cheered. "She said I'm a cool dad!"

"Nope, not anymore." I joked, standing up and walking away. Pete stood up and walked away with me.

"Hey! Where are you guys going?" Patrick asked us.

"We're boycotting." Pete said.

Patrick rolled his eyes as Pete and I walked off. When we were safely out of sight from Patrick, we looked at each other and busted out laughing, Pete's eyes crinkling at the edges. He high fived me, still laughing. "Honestly, though, sorry you gotta go to school."

I shrugged. "It's fine. I'm just confused how I'm gonna do school with chemo."

"It'll work out, I'm sure." Pete said reassuringly as we walked down the hall.

"I hope. Cause I don't want to die." I said, looking down at the floor.

Pete stopped and held my shoulders. "You aren't gonna die, Raven."

I nodded and gave him a small smile. "If you say so, Pete." I really hoped he was right.

A/N

Hello! I honestly can't believe this has reached almost 400 reads! That's amazing you guys! I would also like to give a shout out to izzypanic for all the amazing comments and votes! It means a lot to me! Let me know what you guys think down below with a comment and vote!

Love from the other side of the screen,

Pebbs xx