Chapter 29 Its Just Fire Alarms

Mr.  Doctor Man questions his hands
Lost his mind but he's clinically fine

Raven's POV

I found myself sitting at the desk of a detective. This all seemed so surreal.

"Did you hear me, Raven?"

My head popped up, my eyes tearing away from my hands, which were covered by my sleeves. "Hmm?"

The detective gave me a pitiful look. "I said that she died of blunt force trauma to the head."

I felt my hands shaking as he told me this. "Who did this to her?"

The detective took a deep breath. "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but we do have the suspects in custody."

"Okay, so who was it?"

"Her parents."

The shaking in my hands got worse as I felt my blood starting to boil. "I knew it."

"I'm sorry?" The detective asked me, as though he couldn't hear me the first time.

"I said I knew it. They abused her, and nobody did anything about it."

"I'm truly sorry for your loss, Ms. Stump." He said.

I looked past the detective's face and at the movement behind him. There were two young looking people, a male and a female. They looked straight at me and smiled sinister smiles. I felt my face pale and my hands shake harder. I clenched my fists, standing up from where I was sitting, my chair sliding backward with an ear-piercing screech. Everybody stopped what they were doing and stared at me. I felt a hand on my shoulder, Patrick whispering in my ear, but I couldn't hear him over the ringing in my ears. My vision blurred as I stared Izzy's parents, tears falling down my face.

"Why?" I asked them quietly, but they seemed to hear.

"She was of no use to us." said Izzy's mom. I put a hand over my mouth, trying to suppress the sobs that were coming out of my mouth. I collapsed in my chair and continued to cry.

"This isn't good for her." I heard Patrick say. "Her leukemia is bad and all this crying could hurt her."

"Ok." The detective said, pushing his chair back, standing up. "You can go. Thank you for coming in."

The detective and Patrick shook hands, which soon after my dad helped me up and outside to the car.

3rd Person POV

The car ride was quiet. Nobody had the guts to speak first, and even if they were to speak, nobody knew what to say. Raven sat in the back seat of the car, her earbuds stuffed in her ears, watching the landscape escape her eyes. She compared the scenery to life: fleeting and meaningless. What was the point of it all if it was just going to leave her?

Meanwhile, Patrick was driving, looking in the rearview mirror at the frail child in the back seat. Her bald head was starting to grow bits of hair in random places, but the rest of her betrayed her condition. Her pale face had blue lips that were forming a thin line as she was looking out her window. He worried for the girl that he had grown to love as his own child. The thought of anything happening to her hurt him. He had no idea what he would do without her.

Soon enough, they pulled up to the house, the band sitting on the porch, waiting for them. Joe walked up to Raven as she got out of the car, hugging her tight as she let a couple silent tears fall from her eyes. Andy and Pete joined in the hug, holding her tight.

After the hug was released, they all went inside the house, Raven making a beeline for the stairs and running to her room. Patrick sighed, watching her go.

"I'm worried about her." He said out loud.

"Me too. She's not okay." Joe said. This was one of the few moments that Joe had that he was actually serious, and they never lasted too long.

"What do we do?" Patrick asked worriedly.

"Give her space." Andy said.

"That's all we can do." Pete agreed.

Patrick collapsed on the sofa, putting his head in his hands. "I don't know if I can do that."

Pete walked up to the broken man, putting his hand on his shoulder. "You have to. It's for her."

~*~

Raven's POV

I found myself staring at the ceiling again. That's all I could bring myself to do anymore. I felt so numb, unable to breathe properly anymore. It all just hurt too much. All I could think is...

Why her?

Why not me?

Why?

A/N

Hello, my lovelies! Here is my 29th chapter of this here book, Death Valley! I hope y'all enjoy this chapter and let me know what you think with a comment and vote down below! Sorry to give you another short chapter, imma be making them longer soon!

Love from the other side of the screen,

Pebbs xx