Chapter 4 Under your skin

I love the world

But I just don't love the way it makes me feel

I looked at Patrick and I felt my jaw drop a bit. He just smiled at me like it was nothing. My hero, the guy that was already like some sort of father figure to me in a strange way, was going to adopt me. Maybe things were gonna get better.

Ms. Bell gave a grunt as she said that she was going to go get the papers ready. "Do you need help packing?" Patrick asked me.

"Um." I looked around the small room. I didn't have much at all, but hey. I could put him to work. "Yeah, could you grab my posters and CD's for me?"

"Sure." He said. I ran to the bathroom and threw all of my makeup and hair supplies in a bag, then I bent down and opened the cabinet under the sink. I stopped abruptly when I saw the blade box there. I couldn't do this. I would just end up hurting Patrick. How could I do that to anyone and still live with myself? "You okay?"

I turned around and saw Patrick standing at the doorway of the bathroom. I faked a smile and threw the blades in my bag. "Yup. Just finishing up."

Patrick smiled and held up the CDs. "You've got good taste."

I looked closer and realized he was holding up all of the Fall Out Boy CD's that I had ever bought. Which just so happens to be every album they've ever released. I felt a blush rise up my neck and to my face as he held them up. "Oh them? That's Fall Out Guys right?"

He smirked and looked at them. "Yeah, I think so. I've never heard them, but I've heard they're good."

I rolled my eyes and gave a smile. He laughed and walked back into the room. I stood up after throwing a few more things in my bag and walked into the room again. There, Patrick stood looking at something. I looked over his shoulder (cause we're the same height XD) and realized he was looking at one of my drawings. It was a girl with her head thrown back and sunglasses on, but instead of a face, there was a skull.

"I remember drawing that

"I remember drawing that." I said. Patrick jumped a bit, but then looked back at the drawing.

"You're really good." He said, surprise in his voice.

I blushed and looked away. "Thanks. I think I've got everything once you give me back my book there."

He fumbled with the pages as he closed it. He then gave it to me, and I put it in my little bag of things I was taking. "You ready?" He asked excitedly.

I smiled wide. "Yeah, let's get out of here."

We walked down the stairs together, but I had to wait outside Ms. Bell's office when Patrick had to go in and sign papers for my adoption. I stood there awkwardly, fidgeting with the strings on my backpack and looking at the floor.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I looked up and saw Courtney standing there, her hand on her hip and glaring daggers. "Oh, I don't know. Getting adopted, maybe?" I said sarcastically. I knew I shouldn't have said that, but what did I have to lose?