Chapter 36

Songs for this chapter:

Wild World- Mike Bailey

River of Gold- Daniela Andrade

To Build A Home- The Cinematic Orchestra

*HEIDI'S P.O.V*

I didn't know what to do. I sat there on the park swing in a daze. He took her. He actually took Bentley and is gone.

The police came and took my statement, which wasn't very much considering all I could really tell them was they met up so she could finally tell him she's done with him and that I was keeping watch when he took her.

A stocky man with a salt and pepper beard and glasses made his way to me. His uniform was crisp and his badge said 'Sanders'. He stood in front of me and placed his hands on his waist and waited.

"What?" I said.

"Are you sure you didn't see them?"

"Do you think I would be sitting her talking to you if I did?" I snapped. I don't know why I did it, it just came out.

"Don't go getting an attitude with me ma'am, I'm only trying to help."

"Okay Sanders, then help." I crossed my arms.

"Is there anyone that you know that's related to Bentley? A cousin, someone?"

"Yeah, her aunt Megan."

"Could you get her on the phone and get her to come here, maybe she knows something about where he would take her."

I nodded and pulled out Bentley's phone. They still hadn't taken it from me, some police they were.

I scrolled through the contacts, finding the one labeled 'Megan' and hit call.

"Hello?" A chirpy voice said through the speaker.

"Yes, hi. My name is Heidi, and um.. Well Bentley is gone."

"Gone? What do you mean gone?" Worry filled her voice.

"Um, she went to the park to talk to Damien," I heard a sharp intake of breath before I continued. "Just to tell him to leave her alone, once and for all. I was watching them and I guess I looked away from them long enough for them to move to a different spot without me realizing it and then I heard a scream and they were gone. The only thing that was left was her phone."

"What park?"

I told her the name of the park and hung up, hearing promises of being there shortly. I turned to see a few new officers arriving, two of them headed my way.

"Evening." One of them, the younger one, nodded at me.

I looked at him blankly in response.

"This is detective Brady and I'm detective Tucker." The young one said, extending his hand for a shake. I crossed my arms and continued staring.

"Listen, the only way we can find your friend is if you cooperate fully with us, alright?" Detective Brady told me, pulling out a piece of gum.

"You seem really nonchalant for a man that wants to help find my friend." I remarked.

"Yes well, even us detectives like to have minty breath."

I bit back a smile and looked away.

"I take it that you're Heidi?" Detective Tucker questioned. I nodded and looked back at them. They weren't the bad guys here, they were gonna help me find him.