▪ ■ two ■ ▪

Part 2 yay

Your POV

"Shawn has an autoimmune disease called lupus. Its a moderate to severe case."

"What is it?" I ask, holding onto Shawn's hand very tightly.

"Lupus is a systemic autoimmune disease that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. Inflammation caused by lupus can affect many different body systems — including your joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, brain, heart and lungs. We don't know how it'll affect Shawn but in a case like Shawn's, it can cause a variety of other conditions like kidney failure and brain damage."

"Am... am I going to die?" Shawn questions, eyes darting around the room.

"Probably not Shawn. We can give you medication to help. Its one of those things that'll flare up and get better so you will need to learn to manage it. Get lots of rest for now, but we can discharge him and give him some anti inflammatory medications." The doctor leaves and my attention goes to Shawn, who was silent. I stroke the rash on his cheeks, which had begun to die down.

"Lets get you back to Toronto today so we can see your family." I smile at him and help him up.

We are on the plane to Toronto and Shawn was complaining of tiredness and joint pain. I give him some painkillers which seem to make him more tired.

"Get to sleep." I suggest and he rests his head in the crook of my neck, body shaking due to fear of what might happen. This could potentially change his life as its such a debilitating illness.

"My legs and knees hurt Y/N" he whispers into my ear. I hold him even tighter and keep my hands in his hair, trying to get him to fall asleep.

"We are nearly home babe, hold on." I get a blanket and cover him up. He was lying in my lap and I didn't care that I had no feeling in my legs. I just wanted to make him feel better but I knew whatever I did, he would still be in pain.

We arrived back in Toronto and were walking through the terminal. I noticed that Shawn was leaning on me more than usual. I had a feeling that he was struggling to walk. I see a few spare seats and we sit down. I knew he needed a wheelchair but wouldn't admit it. I decide to ask him gently.

"Shawn..."

"I'm fine Y/N. Don't worry." He smiles at me but I knew he was in agony, I just knew.

"Honey... I hate to say it but I..." I take a deep breath before holding his hand in mine. "I think you're struggling to walk because I know how much it hurts baby but.. but do you need a wheel... chair?" I manage to ask. He has tears in his eyes and nods his head, and a few tears fall from his eyes. I wipe them with my thumb and reassure him.

"Y...yeah it just hurts." He says to me, leaning on me.

"Its okay. I'll get you one." Andrew offers and that leaves me alone with Shawn.

"Please don't cry. We want to help you." I caress his cheek and kiss his jawline.

"I want to go home." His tone of voice - so calm yet painful - made my heart shatter. I felt so sorry for him as he was in a lot of pain, and he was worrying about the potential impacts of this diagnosis on his career.

"You'll be home soon and I'll make sure you get loads of rest to ease your pain." Just then, Andrew comes with the wheelchair. I help Shawn into it and begin pushing him. He hated this and I knew it.

We get to the taxi - Andrew gets a separate taxi as he was going to his house and we were going to Shawn's parents' house to tell them what had happened. I feel Shawn's body collapse on me and he falls asleep.

The drive back home takes three hours due to traffic, and Shawn is asleep for most of it. When we get home Shawn wakes up naturally and we go inside.

"Shawn are you okay?" Karen asks him. A mother knows when their child is in pain.

"I'm tired. Can Y/N tuck me in?" He asks in a baby way. I nod and take him to his room.

"Are you warm enough?"

"Yeah... er Y/N please can you tell mum? Like when I'm not there?" He pleads and I agree.

"I can do it now if you like."

"That'd be amazing." I smile at him and go downstairs.

"How are you Y/N?" Karen asks and I sit with her.

"I'm okay. How are you?"

"It's Shawn. There's something up."

"That's what I've come to tell you about." I twiddle my fingers nervously.

"What is it?" Concern grows on Karen's face.

"Well... Shawn was complaining about being tired all the time and having joint pain. The other day he had this rash on his face so I took him to hospital..."

"Hospital? What happened?" I can see the worry on her face and it upsets me as he's her son, her baby, her everything and obviously doesn't want her baby to suffer. Shawn has a very strong bond with his mum so this was going to be tough on them both.

"They did tests and..." I hesitate at first. "Shawn has lupus." I say and Karen's face drops.

"Lupus? How serious?"

"They said moderate to severe." I wanted to be honest and say exactly what they told me.

"Thanks for telling me Y/N. Is he asleep?"

"I'm not sure. He wanted me to tell you so maybe speak to him." I suggest and she goes into Shawn's room.

"Come with me Y/N." I nod and follow her. "You go first." I go into Shawn's room and he's awake. "Hey" I sit at his bedside and gaze into his eyes, they were a beautiful colour.

"Did you tell mum?" I nod and Karen walks in. I get up to let her sit. All she did was pull him into her lap, and Shawn begins to cry.

"I'm s... scarred mummy" I could physically feel the pain in his voice but I could do nothing to help him.

"You're gonna be absolutely fine darling. We are all going to stick with you and help you through this." She ruffles his hair and he calms down.

"They said they've booked him in to see a doctor in Toronto tomorrow morning and they'll do some more tests and stuff." I say.

"Can I sleep now?" Shawn looks up and we nod.

"I'll let Y/N stay with you whilst I talk to your dad." Karen leaves, closing the door and I lay next to Shawn.

"Come with me tomorrow Y/N" Shawn whispers just loud enough for me to hear.

"Of course I'll come. Listen, this is gonna be tough, but you're going to be absolutely fine. Its a condition that can be managed to some extent. We will learn more tomorrow, but now you need to sleep." I turn off the bedside lamp and lay next to him, my arms around him. The tiredness from the flight causes us to fall asleep almost instantly.

Things are going to get A LOT worse for Shawn!! Sorry for torturing him haha xx