▪ ■ twenty two ■ ▪

Hello all

Your POV

I put Shawn to bed after we had eaten as he was exhausted, both physically and mentally. I didn't want to leave him alone so I decided to lay with him.

"Y/N"

"Shawn are you awake?" I turn to face him, caressing his cheek.

"I can't sleep. I'm exhausted and all I want to do is sleep!" He cries, digging his head into the pillow.

"Turn around." I knew what he needed. I spoon him from behind, the back of his head leaning against my chest, my hand touching his bandaged torso. I find his hand and intertwine my fingers with his. "Better?"

"Thank you Y/N." He yawns, falling asleep.

I wake up to the sound of groaning.

"Shawn? What happened?" I ask, sitting up.

"My tummy hurts really bad!" He complains, pointing to his left side.

"Let me see." I pull the duvet down, and his wound was all red and swollen. I felt his forehead and he was warm. "I need to check your temperature. You might have a fever." I grab the thermometer from the draw and put it in his ear.

"Make it stop!" He burries his head into the pillow, grabbing my hand for support.

"103.1. I need to take my baby to hospital okay... try and sit up so I can put a shirt on you." I sit him up and put a blue long sleeve on him. He had black sweats on from the night before. I put some trainers on his feet and walk him to the car.

He was sweating, but his body kept shaking.

"I'm cold Y/N." He whimpers, curling up into a ball on the passenger seat.

"I know baby but I need to get your fever down." I coo, patting his leg.

As soon as we get in, the doctors pull Shawn away from me and take him into an examination room. I was really worried for him, he had been through so much and all I wanted was for him to be able to live a normal life again.

I decided to call Shawn's mum as she needed to know.

"Hey Y/N how are you?" She asks.

"I... its not good. Shawn was complaining about a stomach ache so I took him to hospital. They are just examining him." I explain, fighting back tears.

"Oh no! I'll be there soon. Take care." I hang up and sit there in silence, waiting.

"Shawn Mendes?" I instantly stand, nervously chewing on my hoodie strand. "We have done a small surgery called keyhole surgery to investigate what is wrong."

"Surgery?" I question.

"His transplanted kidney is infected. We are giving him antibiotics to kill the bacteria. He needs to stay here for two nights. He'll be fine in a few days but the surgery has a recovery time of six weeks."

I sigh in relief as I'm shown into Shawn's room. Karen had to sign some medical papers so I would be alone with Shawn for twenty minutes.

He was sleeping peacefully, head tilted towards me. I decide not to wake him. He was shirtless, bandages and plasters all over his torso and wrists, from the self harm and from the surgery. There was an IV drip hooked up to him, giving him the anti biotics he needed.

"Y/N" he opens his eyes, but closes them because of the light.

"Hey honey, are you okay?"

"Yeah... what happened? Why am I so sore?"

"You... well... er..." I take a deep breath. "They had to do keyhole surgery to examine you. Turns out your transplanted kidney is infected. The anti biotics are being given to you through the IV." I explain.

"I had another surgery? I'm never going to be able to live my life. I might aswell just give up with music!" He cries. A single tear falls down his cheek.

"I have an idea. Why don't you record that song you wrote the other day?"

"Its so personal. I've never been that raw in a song before."

"It might help with your emotions. Like releasing something personal." I suggest - the song could help release all the stress he was feeling.

"I'm going to do it. As soon as I'm out of here, that song is being recorded and released." He smiles, and I plant a kiss on his cheek.

"There's that smile!" I pinch his cheek, and he closes his eyes. "Are you sleepy?"

"Yeah and my tummy hurts a little."

"That's normal, just try to sleep or rest it off."

"How long am I here for?"

"Two days they said." Just then, Karen walks in, holding a box of mini chocolate chip muffins in her hand. Aaliyah followed her, a balloon in her hand.

"You bought muffins for me mum?" Joy spreads on his face, and I laugh.

"Yeah course. Anything to make my baby feel better. They need to me softened up a little before you eat them."

"Here. I'll feed you as you can't really move your arms right now." One of his arms was occupied with the IV and the other one had a heart monitor attached to his finger.

I had to soften the muffins down, so I take a piece off with my hand and soften it with my fingers, then put it in his mouth.

"Does Shawn's disgusting saliva not bother you?" Aaliyah laughs.

"No not really. He's my baby after all." I caress his cheek lovingly, then move some hair out of his eyes.

"Are you going to cuddle your baby?" Shawn asks, smiling.

"I'll cuddle my baby after I burp him." I smile, rolling my eyes.

"Of course you will." He giggles.

"Shawn I'm being serious. After you eat I need to burp you because your stomach has been operated on."

"Guess I am an actual baby today." Shawn says.

"You're always my baby." I give him a quick peck on the lips before feeding him the rest of the muffins.

The clocks went forward and I hate it bc that means 19 hour days and I'm not kidding when I say that bc England is up north x