▪ ■ twenty eight ■ ▪

Helloooo its sunny and not freezing cold today so yeah that's a start

Your POV

"Shawn... wake up sweetie." It was nearly 8am so I woke Shawn up. Today was his third chemo session, and I'm hoping that it helps him.

"I'm so tired Y/N." He had been asleep for twelve hours.

"It's your chemo session today. We have to leave in fifteen minutes. I let you sleep for as long as possible." I take the duvet off of Shawn's, revealing his pink, feverish cheeks. "Shawn let me check your temperature."

"I don't feel good Y/N. My head hurts and my throat is sore." I could tell his voice was going. It was in his voice.

I put the thermometer in his ear and sigh at the result. "101.3. Shawn you're sick... come on, lets take you to your appointment."

I had laid out a black jumper and skinny jeans for Shawn, but he was sick so I changed the jumper to a short sleeved top. I help him change as he was saying his body was hurting, and take him into the car. I get a blanket and cover him up so he can sleep, as the hospital is an hour away in the morning traffic.

When we get into the hospital, Shawn is shown into his room. We had started calling room 11E 'Shawn's room' as he was there so often.

I lay him into bed and pull the sheet over him, holding his warm hand in mine.

Dr Jackson then comes in.

"Morning Shawn, you know the drill. I'm gonna insert this needle into your arm..."

I interrupt her.

"Er he had a fever of 101.3 at home. I think he's sick." I explain.

"He does look pale. Erm... I'm going to carry on with the chemo as normal today but I'm going to take some blood too just to check for infection as lupus means that Shawn is more vulnerable to infection." She explains, inserting the IV into Shawn's arm."I've given a slightly higher dose so its gonna take nine hours to fully go in. The side affects may be worse too, but you're not getting any better so this is the only option." Dr Jackson explains, taking some blood from the back of Shawn's hand.

"Its okay... I just want to get better." Shawn replies, turning his head towards me.

"You can sleep if you want. I'm not going anywhere." I smile, kissing his forehead.

"Thanks Y/N... I really don't feel good."

"What hurts?"

"My head and cheeks." He replies, and I begin massaging his scalp, trying to lessen his pain. "Thank you."

"Its okay darling." I lean down and kiss his cheek. He falls asleep pretty quickly and I begin reading a book that I bought with me.

A nurse comes in an hour later.

"He has a sinus infection. Nothing serious, but I'm prescribing anti biotics for him to take from tomorrow onwards just as a precaution." She explains, and I'm relieved. "Just put this on his forehead to keep him cool." She puts a cold washcloth on his forehead. Just as she does that, Shawn wakes up, pointing to his mouth.

"Here." I pass him a bucket and he throws up the little contents of his stomach. I get a wet wipe and clean his face. "Its okay, get back to sleep." I coo, stroking his feverish cheek.

"What did the bloods tell us?" He asks.

"You have a sinus infection, it's nothing bad don't worry. You've got anti biotics to take for it though." I explain.

"Ugh, that's why my cheeks are so sore." He wanted comfort and I knew it.

"Does my baby want cuddles?" I ask, giggling.

"More than anything Y/N. I feel so shitty." He whimpers, and I climb into bed with him, his head laying on my stomach, my hands in his curls.

"Get back to sleep." I say, rubbing my thumb on his cheek.

Shawn remained asleep in my arms for another two hours.

The pain woke him up.

"Y/N my head is killing me!" He digs his head into my chest to block out the light.

"Hey hunny I'll give you a massage." I suggest, rubbing circles on his forehead with my thumbs.

"Its just on one side." He explains.

"You have a migraine sweetie." I say softly, giving him a sympathetic look. "Try to sleep it off." I suggest, allowing him to lay on top of me, his head stuffed in my neck.

The next few hours were spent the same - Shawn sleeping in my arms, waking up every so often to throw up, or complain of pain. All I could do was hold him. I felt helpless - I wanted to help him but I couldn't.

"Shawn wake up. You can go home." I gently shake him and he wakes up. "Come on, lets take you home."

"Good idea." He responds, allowing me to help him stand. The nurse then comes in.

"I just need to check his vitals. We have his anti biotics for the sinus infection, take one tablet twice a day." The nurse explains, checking his vitals. "Everything normal, temperature is still high, it's 101.1 but the anti biotic will bring that down."

"Thank you." I say, before helping a very tired Shawn walk to the car. It was now 6pm and we were both exhausted. "What do you want for tea?" I ask, taking his hand in mine.

"Nothing. I'm not hungry." He replies, closing his eyes. I sigh, and decide that I would make him soup when I got home as he had to eat something.

There was a sense of calmness during the journey home, but we weren't prepared for the events that would soon follow...

I really was gonna give you a happy ending to this chapter, I really was. But I could also leave it on a cliff hanger so I went with that hehehe