▪ ■ six ■ ▪

Part 6 + its snowing = yay
Time skip of around 10 days

Your POV

Shawn would be leaving for tour tomorrow. He had been doing really well - the only concerning thing was the amount of times he was visiting the loo, but he was certain that he was drinking more water, especially today as he had his scan.

Today Shawn had an appointment with Dr Jackson and she was going to do an ultrasound scan, urine test and blood test to confirm that his organs were all working well. He would be in hospital for the day and I was going to go with him.

"Shawn you ready?" I ask him, grabbing his bag.

"Yeah lets go!" He was in a good mood so I dismiss the feeling of unease I have.

I begin to drive to the hospital.

"How is the pain?" I ask him.

"My joints feel a little sore but not too bad." He smiles at me and I pat his leg.

"It's gonna be fine. You'll be on tour tomorrow." I was comforting myself more than him.

We arrive at the hospital and go into the scanning room.

"Hey how are you?" Dr Jackson enters the room.

"I'm better today." Shawn replies.

"That's good to hear. My colleague Sarah will be doing your scan today and I'll discuss the results with you if that's needed." She explains. "Right Shawn I'm going to need you to take your shirt off and pull your sweatpants a bit low so we can scan your lower abdomen too."

She leaves and I help Shawn take his top off. I help him lay down and gently pull his sweatpants a bit lower. The radiographer, Sarah, comes in and puts some gel on his stomach.

"Your bladder is nice and full. That's making the scan clear." She begins to do the scan.

"So how do you manage your time?" She begins to make conversation.

"I don't know. I just try to make a timetable but I guess I just know how to manage it but I don't have to think about it too much."

"Ah I see." Its silent for a bit before she speaks. "You had an appendectomy?"

"Yeah how do know?"

"The scar. Plus your appendix doesn't show on here darling." She laughs and so do I. "When was that?"

"It was when I was 14 and on the Magcon tour. I just had this awful pain and it was the longest I'd been away from home for."

"How long? Oh... just turn a tiny bit towards me."

"It had been four weeks at this point."

"That's a long time at that age."

"Yeah it was now I think of it.

"Right front is normal. I need to check your kidneys. Lay on your right." She scans it, and her brows furrow.

"What's up?" I ask her.

"Shawn I'm gonna need you to face your beautiful girlfriend for a sec." He turns to face me and assesses his other kidney. Her eyes grow wide. "Give me one second. I'll be back." She  hurriedly leaves and Shawn looks at me.

"W... what's wrong with me?" Tears well in his eyes and I was about to speak but Dr Jackson enters and scans his kidneys again.

"Right that's fine. Shawn dress yourself and come into the room next door. I need to speak to Y/N."

I'm very worried at this point. Shawn goes to the toilet and dresses himself, and in the meantime I speak to Dr Jackson.

"Right..." she pauses and then continues, taking a deep breath. "Lupus can affect all of the organs. It affects some people more than others. Shawn's case is on the severe side but I've treated people with much worse than him."

"Right okay." I say, twiddling my fingers.

"It can affect all organs. That's why I asked for this scan to be done. A lot of the time, there is little to no pain with this..."

"What's wrong with Shawn?" I ask stressfully.

"The lupus has caused both of his kidneys to fail. He needs a transplant... or he will die."

"W... what?" I stutter. "Do you have one? Can I do it?" Shawn then walks in.

"Shawn lay down please. I need to do a blood test." Dr Jackson says.

"What happened with my scan?" He asks.

"Well... lupus can affect the way your organs work and it's worse in some people. I did this scan to make sure your organs are fully operational. But... here's the thing. Shawn you have kidney failure. We need to give you a kidney transplant. Fortunately, you're high up on the waiting list so we can operate next week if there is an available kidney."

"But... my tour and..."

"Shawn its okay. You have to put your health first. You need this transplant." Dr Jackson explains and I sit on the bed where he is laying and lift his head into my lap.

"I want to go home..." Shawn was in shock when he learned this.

"Shawn sweetie we have to keep you in hospital until we have done the surgery. You're too sick to be at home." Dr Jackson tells him, patting his shoulder. "I need to do this blood test and then I need a urine sample too."

Shawn looks at me terrifyingly and I'm frozen myself.

"That's done. I have a bed waiting for you in ward G9. I can't have you walk pretty much at all Shawn until after the surgery." She brings him a wheelchair and I begin pushing him to the nearby ward.

We are shown to a private room and I help Shawn lay down into bed.

"Y/N..." the way in which he says my name makes my eyes tear up, but I have to be strong for Shawn.

"Shawn sweetie I'm right here."

"I'm... I'm going to die aren't I..."

"Shawn listen to me. You're not going to die. They are going to do a quick operation that plenty of people have had. Selena Gomez had it a few months ago and look at how incredibly well she's recovered. You're gonna be fine hun."

"But my tour and stuff..."

"I've texted Andrew and he will say its due to medical reasons."

Dr Jackson comes in.

"Shawn... we can do the surgery in six days. We have a donor."

"Who is it?" He asks.

"A kind gentleman who has been given six days to live. He will donate his kidney to you as soon as he dies. He's unconscious so you probably won't get to speak to him." She says. "There's a few things though. You can't eat or drink anything honey because of the kidney failure. The medication will keep you tired, so you will feel very weak for a while." She then leaves me with Shawn.

I had texted Shawn's mum who had rushed to be here for him.

"Mum..."

"Hey I'm here darling." She sits next to him, holding his hand.

"Don't... don't tell Liyah please..." I could tell he was slowly losing his strength.

"If that's what you want Shawn. We all adore you and are all so so proud of how brave you are being." Karen leans down and kisses his forehead.

"I want to sleep." I could clearly see how exhausted he was looking. It was miles off how well he looked just this morning. They had given him medication for his kidneys which made him weak, and so did the lack of food.

"I love you my gorgeous, talented, amazing boyfriend." I whisper in his ear.

Dayuuuummm what will happen to Shawn? Will he survive?