▪ ■ thirty three ■ ▪

Hello!! Listening to Handwritten rn ❤

Your POV

My morning alarm went off at 7 30am. I wanted to shower and get myself ready before waking Shawn up, unfortunately my alarm woke Shawn up.

"Hey, get back to sleep for a little while. You don't need to be up yet." I whisper, caressing his cheek.

"Mmm" he groans. I don't think he's fully awake. Small snores begin escaping his slightly parted lips.

I get into the shower and quickly wash my hair. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom, so I quickly dry my hair and throw it into a messy french braid. I put on some exercise leggings, a cropped top and baby pink denim jacket.

I decide not to wear makeup today. It was now 8 15am so I decide to wake Shawn up.

As I leave the bathroom, Shawn comes in.

"The hairdryer woke me up." Shawn says in his morning voice.

"Sorry." I smile, kissing his cheek. "I'll make you some coffee whilst you get ready."

The journey to the hospital was quiet, and I could sense that Shawn was nervous.

"Don't stress Shawn, you're gonna be fine." I pat his leg, smiling at him.

"Hopefully." He sighs, looking out of the window.

I find a parking space near the front and park up.

"Come on. Let's go." I say, getting out of the car and walk with Shawn into the hospital reception. "Sit here. I'll let them know you're here."

I walk up to the reception desk.

"Shawn Mendes?" I ask.

"Wait here. I received strict instructions telling me not to let Shawn walk to the ward." The receptionist explains, and I get worried. Then I remember that Shawn has been given a wheelchair in previous visits, so I shrug off the feeling of impending doom I had been feeling all day and sit by Shawn's side.

"Can I not go?" He asks.

"You aren't allowed to walk sweetie." I reply, putting my arm around his shoulder. A nurse comes in with a wheelchair. "I'll take him, thank you." I offer, helping Shawn into the wheelchair.

"Room 11E?" Shawn asks rhetorically and the nurse nods her head, giggling slightly.

We get into the ward and Shawn is told to lay down in bed.

"Are you warm enough?" I ask, sorting Shawn's pillows out.

"Yeah, thanks Y/N." He says, just as Dr Jackson walks in.

"Morning. I just need to do a blood test, but I need to take a few bottles of blood. Because you're anæmic, you might feel a little dizzy but nothing serious." She explains, putting a needle into Shawn's arm, a sight that had become familiar.

"What are you testing for exactly?" I made the horrible mistake of asking.

"A few things. I'm checking if the sinus anti biotics worked. Also, I need to check for any bacteria or viruses that could be causing your symptoms. I also need to check blood sugar levels."

That last sentence startled me.

"Blood sugar?" I question, but try to calm down after I see the worry on Shawn's face.

"Yeah. The symptoms Shawn described were typical of diabetes."

My phone falls from my hand, and Shawn looks at me for comfort.

"How l... likely?" Shawn stutters, tears in his eyes.

"Honestly, I'm not sure. The results will be back in half an hour so that'll tell us for sure." Dr Jackson tells us, putting a plaster on Shawn's arm.

That half an hour was the longest half an hour of my life.

"Shawn look at me." I knew he was stressing out but we had to remain positive. "Keep calm. We can't be certain until the bloods are back, lets keep positive."

"Y/N... I can't. Every time I say it'll be fine it isn't. The worst case scenario has always happened to me in the last few months. I want to be mentally prepared to give up my career." He sighs, closing his eyes in defeat.

Even though what he said was right, I had to somehow calm him.

"Shawn, if this happens, we can manage it. You will be back on the road in no time. As soon as we get home, we can record the song you showed me yesterday."

"Y/N my career is over. I can't tour, I can't record, look at me I can barely stand! Everything is a mess!"

I knew that this was about more than the bloods.

"Budge." I say, and he moves up so I can lay beside him, letting him snuggle his head into my neck. "You're gonna be absolutely fine, we will find a way around it. Even if it means I have to carry you during the entire show, or if I have to clean vomit off of the studio floor every day I'm going to make sure that you get to do what you love." I assert, kissing his forehead.

We then reposition so that I'm holding him.

"Y/N play with my hair... it calms me." I obey him, and gently play with his hair, trying to keep him calm durinb this.

Dr Jackson returns, but Shawn doesn't move.

"I have the results."

I feel Shawn's heart racing, and I squeeze him tight momentarily to calm him down.

"The results show that Shawn has Type 1 Diabetes."

I was gonna reveal the results in the next chapter but I decided to be nice lol