He Understands Me

America's POV
"Because Aspen is Kamber's brother!" I blurted. I covered my mouth. I wasn't suppose to share that detail with him. For some reason he was really easy to talk too. He listened to me. He asked me questions that I haven't thought about before.
"Oh. I didn't know that. Now that that is out. I say be honest with Kamber. Tell her the truth. She's your best friend. Right?" Maxon asked. I nodded my head to show I approved of his statement. "So She should understand. She should be there for you."
I thought about it for a little. "But Aspen And Kamber are close. What if she blames it on me. What if I loose her. What if she chooses Aspens side?!" I asked frantically.
"I don't think she will pick a side." He said bluntly.
"Huh?" I asked totally not formal. But I didn't care and it seemed like he didn't care either.
"She shouldn't pick a side. She should be there for both of you. A friend should be there for you no matter what. And a sister should be there for her siblings no matter what also."
I thought for a bit. "You're right. I should tell her. She has a right to know. To know the truth about her brother. The truth about me." I said confidently.
"Good" was all Maxon said.
"Yeah..." I said feeling awkwardness sweep over us all of a sudden.
"So not to be invasive... but what was the crying and sobbing in the dinning hall?" He asked. When I didn't answer right away he said "you don't have to tell me. I mean... I would like for you to tell me if anything is bothering you. But I guess you don't have to answer of course." He rubbed the back of his neck.
"Oh. That." I stammered. "Uhhh. I don't know really how to explain it. Well I do. But it's...it's just not my thing to tell." I said thinking about it.
"Oh" Maxon said. I snuck a look at him, he looked at the ground and put his hands in his pockets. He wouldn't meet my gaze.
"That's all you're going to say?" I ask.
"Yup. That's about it. I just thought you would tell me." He shrugged. "But... I get it. I wouldn't want people blabbing my business to others. Especially when it's not their story to tell." He said. I could tell he understood me. He understood that I couldn't tell people. It was Kamber's thing to tell.

"Thanks for understanding." I said and put a hand on his shoulder but removed it quick when I noticed the touch. The closeness. I hadn't noticed before but we were close. Really close. His shoulders inches from my chest. He was a taller than me. Shocker. My head met shy of his eyes. He turned to face me. He looked down at me with those kind brown eyes. The most common eye color. There was something different about his brown ones though. They had softness behind them. Something I haven't seen in anyone's eyes that were in a higher caste than I was. The eyes of my clients were mostly filled with hunger for money, selfishness, arrogance, greed, and lots of other emotions that I didn't want to think about.

"Should we head back to the party?" He whispers. When he talked I snapped out of my mind set and looked down and then up again to meet his eyes.
"Yeah. I guess we should" I say. Was it bad I wanted him to kiss me? Wrap me in his arms. STOP. My mind screamed at me. You. Love. Aspen. You love Aspen. Not this Prince.

I now saw what all the other girls saw when they looked at Maxon. Prince Maxon. They would swoon over a picture of him. Listen intensely to what he was saying on the Report. They saw him as if he was a fallen angel from heaven. I wasn't going to fall for his charm. I wasn't going to be like every girl in Illéa I was going to stay true to Aspen. Just like how he didn't to me. Aspen would come around. I knew it. I had this feeling in my heart. Or was that just a feeling my mind made up to fill the emptiness of my heart. The spot that Aspen ripped out of me when he said we were through. Those words were for sure going to haunt me forever.

"...America!! Earth to America." I heard Maxon's voice calling my name and his hand waving in front of my face. "America. You in there?"
"Yeah yeah I'm fine" I said and grabbed his wrist with my hand to stop his hand from waving in front of my face one more time. Because I took ahold of Maxon's wrist the guards in the area tensed and put their hands to their belts ready to pull out weapons if need be.
"It's fine" Maxon said to the guards. With those couple coaxing words the guards let down their guard. A little. They still had their hand somewhere close to the belt around their waist. The guards still didn't trust me after the faux rebel attack. Even though I'm not the one to blame. It wasn't my fault. The fault landed on that tipsy guard.

I let go of Maxon's wrist and he rolls them around to stretch them.
"Sorry" I murmur.
"It's fine. I was more worried about you. You kinda zoned out" he said like it was normal for girls to zone out right in front of him. I know that's not the case usually though.
"Sorry. Thinking about Asp-"
"Aspen. Yeah. I guessed" he said quickly. Too quickly. Like he didn't want to talk about it anymore. I was kinda relieved when he wanted to change the subject.

Right then a guard came up and quickly bowed to Maxon.
"Your highness sorry to Umm..." the guard looked at me. "To interrupt you and. Umm- just sorry to interrupt. But Lady Kamber She...She is in the hospital wing."
"Yes. I know this information. I was the one who sent her there." Maxon said a little bored with worry in his tone.
"No. She has hurt her foot but there's something else. Something you need to know. It's bad. Really bad."

I thought about what the guard was saying. But I already knew what he was talking about. I ran off down the hall. Just then I remembered I don't know where the hospital wing is I slowed my pace down to wait for his royal highness.

What do you think has happened with Kamber? Comment what you think. Also please like if you like this story. If you don't like it please like it as well!!