It's Inevitable

Maxon's POV

I haven't been productive all day. Ever since my fight with America I have been down. I can't think straight and all I think about is what America said to me.

"Oh. So now I have to tell you everything that happens with Aspen? Maxon you are relentless. I don't have to tell you everything and anything you want to know. What if I don't want to talk about what happened with Aspen? What would you do, kick me out of the selection? Ohhh big whoop de do I got kicked out of the selection what will I ever do now?" That hurt. It hurt a lot. I thought she always confided in me and I would never ever try to talk to her about something she doesn't want to talk about.

I pace my room and think about how I can fix this problem with America. My mom told me she talked to America and America told her about Aspen. My mom also said she didn't pry and ask too many questions there fore my mom didn't know ALL the details. I heard a knock at my door and the maids in my room who were cleaning went to open it.

"Hello Prince Maxon." A guard came in and you could tell he was trying to hold it together in front of me. He looked like he was about to cry.

"What's wrong?!" I said immediately.

"Lady Kamber. She's dying. Fast. She's on stage three. She's not breathing properly and she has a high blood pressure." The guard stated. I recognized him as one of the five guards we told about Kamber.

"That seems horrible. Take me to her." I say and make my way to the door.

~•~

Once I get to the Princess Suite I open the door fast and I hear yelling. I see America and Kamber and Marlee.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Are you saying that because you are sick my life can't go on?!" America yelled at Kamber.

"NO! I'm saying that maybe you should visit me more and spend the last days of my life by my side. You're the only family I can have by my side right now America!" Kamber starts out yelling but slowly calms down just realizing that she was probably going to die.

"Don't say that!" America bursts into tears and falls to the ground. I run over and try to help her up. "DON'T TOUCH ME MAXON!" She screams at me and puts her hand up. I slowly back away not saying anything.

"ITS TRUE AMERICA!" Kamber says lifting her arms then letting them fall like she has given up.

"They can still help you Kamber!" America says through sobs. Marlee is on the floor rubbing America's back.

"No, America. They can't. The cancer is getting worse by the day. They haven't done anything to help me. I could die tomorrow." Kamber says softly.

"STOP PLEASE KAMBER!" America screams and puts her head in her hands and cries.

"ITS TRUE! I'm not lying to myself anymore America. I've been trying to stay happy for so long. But it's inevitable. I've always secretly known I'm going to die this year. I always knew it. I have been in this room getting sicker and sicker and even more bored with each passing day. My one wish was to be with you America. I wanted to be with you the last days I'm alive. I want to be with you and Aspen." Kamber cut off herself by coughing fits. I saw bright red on her clothes.

"Kamber. You can't expect my life to just stop! I need to live too. I have been here every other day to visit you. To see how you are doing! I've been HERE for YOU!" America yelled/sobbed. I couldn't tell if they were fighting each other or fighting the truth.

"You know what America I can't handle this right now. I feel awful and you're not helping. Go. Now!" Kamber pointed to the door.

"Kamber please I'm here with you. Right now. I can be here and I will be here. Please let me stay by your side." America got off the ground and pleaded to Kamber. Kamber shook her head and pointed at the door again.

"Not with her. You always brought her. I never liked her. You're replacing me in your life already America." America looked like she was going to fight Kamber but she didn't. It took me a second to understand who Kamber was talking about. I looked at America's left side. Marlee. Kamber thought that Marlee was replacing her.

America and Marlee left with silence besides the cries. I walked up to Kamber's bedside.

"Hey." I say quietly.

"Hey." She managed between a cough.

"What was that all about?" I asked hoping that she wouldn't yell at me too.

"America is already replacing me Maxon. I'm not even dead yet. America and Marlee have been coming in this room ever other day and trying to cheer me up when they just bring me down. They look so close already and they get along so well. I- I feel like no one cares for me." Kamber says just staring at her hands.

"I care. And I know America cares. America loves you and she always will love you. Dead or not. And try to have a little hope! I mean the doctors can still help you get better." I say trying to cheer her up.

"I guess they still can. But Maxon would anyone actually miss me when I'm gone?" Kamber asked and looked up at me.

"Lots of people will. Your family. Me. My mom. America. The selected you made friends with. Lots of people. But Kamber. Do you really want people to stop their lives just because of your death? I wouldn't want them wasting their whole lives devoted to me dying when they still have the chances that maybe I didn't. I would want them to remember me and smile. Not remember me and be sad that I'm gone." I say. I didn't know how she would take this.

"You're right Maxon. I just have been so bored and I feel so left out. Even if I didn't have Cancer I would still feel left out. You are right though. Life keeps happening even if someone dies." Kamber says astonish and thoughtful. She started laughing and little and crying. "I just had a fight with my best friend and I sent her away when I should have been making more memories with her. I- I need to apologize and make up with her. I shouldn't have been jealous of her and Marlee. I'm glad Marlee makes her happy. When I'm gone she'll need that." Kamber smiles a little.

"Kamber you can still live." I say softly.

"No. I can't Maxon. The doctor came in and told me the bad news a few hours ago. I didn't want to tell America because I knew it would hurt her even more." Kamber says like it was normal.

"You're a great friend Kamber." I say and smile at her.

"I know." She whispers and smiles back.

Hello I hope you're loving this book! So what do you think America will say when she finds out that Kamber is going to die? What will Aspen say? Is all hope lost?

Please please comment I love love reading them and knowing what you guys are thinking while I write it! Also please please vote for this story that would be amazing!!

I will post 5/18/18

Spoiler: America finds out about Kamber and Aspen is with her learning too.