The Scandal

America POV
I follow the guard named Carter and the selected girl named Marlee into a dark room.
"This seems like a good spot." Marlee said and stood by Carter while I stood opposite of them. 
"Yeah and no guards should be on duty here." Carter said and put an arm around Marlee. I could tell that they loved each other very much. It reminded me of Aspen and me. Well I'm the past.
"Are there lights?" I asked.
"There should be a switch over there." Carter said and pointed to a wall. I turned the lights and I saw a meeting room in front of me.
"Okay So now that we have lights. What's up with you two?" I questioned them but I already knew the answer.
"We are in love!!" Marlee said a looked lovingly at Carter and Carter was a mirror image of her. Just taller and a boy.
"Please explain." I said and sat down on one of the chairs at the far end of the large table.
"It all started when I tripped down the stairs..." Marlee started.

They talked about everything they did just to see each other. I could tell they were trying to play to my sympathy for them so I wouldn't tell. They told me about the stolen kisses and almost everything about their relationship.
"Wow." Was all I could say. I never in all the years I've been alive have seen some people love each other that much. Not even my mom and dad. Not a type of love that you would die for. I knew for a fact that if they got caught they would be dead or sent back to a province as eights and caned. That would be rough. The selected were to be at the prince's will. For him to do anything he wanted with them. Like property. But I knew Maxon would never do that to a girl. Especially if the girl was in love with someone else. But for a selected to ACTUALLY go against that is counted as treason to the royal family.
"So you won't tell?" Marlee said tentatively.
"I swear to Illéa I won't. I promise." I held up my hand like I'm a Girl Scout or something.
"Really that's a relief." Marlee let out a breath and ran to hug me. I hugged her back.
"Just- just be careful." I whisper to her and pull back to look in her eyes.
"We will. We promise." She smiled and ran back to Carter and jumped into his arms and kissed him endlessly.
"Is that all?" I asked secretly wishing it wasn't. I was so bored in the castle and me and the prince weren't really on good terms right now after he yelled at me. I guess I deserved it. How could I have ever thought someone as powerful as Maxon would like a five like me. I bet everyone knows that he's going to pick one of the twos as a wife.
"Yes that seems to be all. I really hope I see you around the castle more America, it's been a pleasure to meet you." Marlee curtsied a little as a joke and I did the same and we both laughed. Carter faked rolled his eyes.
"If you girls don't mind but I'm going to go and go back to my post that I'm suppose to be at. "So good day girls. And bye Marlee." He kissed her forehead and walked out without looking back.
When he was out of earshot. I said
"Dang. No wonder you would "cheat"" I did air quotes around it "on the prince for him. He's hot!!" I scream whisper. And Marlee bursts out laughing.
"I know right! Thank you by the way."
"For what?"
"For keeping our secret. I promise you if it was anyone else then we would be in a jail cell by now." She said and laughed but there was a hard truth beneath that laugh.
"No. Don't thank me. I'm just doing what I think is right." I said and put my hand on her shoulder.
"Do you think that what me and carter are doing is okay. I mean technically it's not. But I mean in the world of love. Would you go so far as risking your life for love? Or is that unrealistic?" For the first time today she sounded worried about her choices. About her life.
"I think you need to do whatever you can to be with the one you truly love. But you can't be with that person if you're dead."
"True. We'll just have to be really really careful." She looked down like the weight of all of this is just being put on her shoulders.
"I know you will have to be careful but just keep in mind that you also need to seem interested in Prince Maxon as well or people will start questioning things."
"True." She looked up and there were tears in her eyes. "America-" she sobbed. "I love Carter. So so so much." She wiped her nose.
"I know I can tell." I hug her and she starts shaking.
"I just don't want him to be in trouble. It was my fault I'm the one who kissed him first. I'm the one who couldn't resist him not the other way around. This is all my fault."
I just stay silent and listen to her.

After a while of tear shed she looks back up and wipes her eyes with the back of her dress sleeves. "Have you ever been in love America?" She asked hiccuping.
I think back to Aspen. I did love him and he did love me. The only thing that has changed is that he might not love me anymore. But the problem is I still love him. "Yes I have been in love." I sigh.
"Really? With who?" Marlee asked.
Wow the people here really have a way of getting things out of me. "His name is Aspen. He left me to join the royal guard actually" I laugh at the irony of it.
"Oh well you'll have a guard protecting you."
"Yeah I guess I will if he still loves me enough to be with me." I say bitterly.
"What do you mean?"
"Just he broke up with me just before I came here for Kamber's birthday. And guess what he's actually Kamber's older brother!" I say and throw my hands up exasperated. Now it was my turn to cry and Marlee's turn to comfort me and listen. Then the door opens and I look up and there he is. Your Highness, Prince Maxon.

What do you think will happen? Will Maxon yell at them for being in a room they were not suppose to be in? Will Marlee and America become friends? Comment and please like!!