Whips and Tears

Maxon's POV

I was just walking the halls when I heard screaming.

"Kriss. Let's be honest here. Yeah I may have feelings for Maxon. But take my advice. Maxon will never love you. You are so selfish and like all the other girls in the selection you only wanted to be Queen. You didn't want to win his heart. All you care about the crown and money." I could tell it was America yelling. Her and Kriss must be having a fight. About me..

America was right. I never loved Kriss and I guess I never will. Only time can tell. We will form our own version of love. I guess.

"How dare you accuse me of that! I love Maxon. Maxon will love me. I am having his child! Are you having his child? Uhhhh no. So back off. I love Maxon for him. Maybe unlike you." Kriss yelled back at America.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was Kriss really accusing America of gold digging? How dare she. I know America. She would never.

"What exactly are you doing?" I hear a voice behind me. I turn and my father stands tall behind me.

"Listening to America and Kriss's fight." I say and shrug like it's no big deal.

"Why? Your wife is doing what's right. Aren't you proud of her for standing her ground?"

"No. She's ruthless. She needs to know that she can't just yell at everyone that she doesn't like and expect them to listen to her and not fight back!" I point out. We made sure that the girls couldn't hear us. With the looks of things my father set Kriss up to this. To yell at America.

"No son. Kriss is the one who is right. Not America. That girl... thing. Has messed with your mind. She has sunk her claws into your head and is feeding you lies." My father argues.

"Father. If you know me so well as to say something like that- something that deals with a girl changing my mind then wouldn't you know when I'm not really happy?" I tried to beg my father to understand me like mother did. Like America did.

"Of course I know you Maxon! I am your father you know. I know when you are happy and when you are sad." I needed to cut him off.

"Then wouldn't you know that I'm not happy with Kriss by my side?" I question him farther.

"I know you aren't"

"Then why did you pressure me into making me choose her as my wife!"

"Because sometimes when you are royalty you need to put your country's needs before your own. Kriss will make an excellent Queen. She was the favorite besides Marlee. Marlee I could tell was not in love with you. Kriss is Maxon. Can't you see?"

"Dad she isn't in love with me. She is in love with what comes with having me as a husband." I say coldly.

"No. You will not talk about your wife that way. Come with me" my father yells and pulls me by the ear. I know what's coming.

I could still faintly hear yelling. The fight coming to the end. America takes one last shot. She fails. I failed her.

"Take off your shirt." My father orders. He has locked the doors to his office and has taken out the whip. I'm done for. I do as he says with hesitation.

"Whenever you are ready to start to beat the hell out of your child you may start." I say. My last words before he hits my back.

The lashes sting. He does ten whips. Whips going over another and a pool of my blood dripping down my sides. I don't cry. I don't whine. I don't do anything but stand there and take the beatings.

After the beating my father tells me to go and never to speak of it. I already know that though.

"Also one more thing. If America goes to you like I know she will. Do the right things. Take Kriss's side. Or else..."

~•~

I get a letter from America. Oh my dear America. How will I be able to break her heart. I can't. I just can't.

America recaps the whole fight with her and Kriss. I listen. I hear what Kriss said to America before I started to overhear. I was shocked. Kriss said so many rude things.

"So... what do you think?" America asks and looks at me with wide eyes. I knew what she was looking for. Comfort. A way to prove that she's not crazy. I couldn't give it to her though. Sadly.

"I think Kriss is right." I choke out. America's eyes go even bigger.

"What?" Was all that came out of her mouth.

"I think. Kriss. Is. Right." I say slowly. I knew I was being rude but it had to be done. "We shouldn't be talking as much as we are and then Kriss is having the baby and I'll be a father. You and Aspen are working things out and you might want some kids with him someday and we really should just stick to being friends. K? I mean America, I feel like I'm cheating. I don't want to be a cheater. Not physically cheating. Emotionally. Because let's just say I'm growing feelings for you that I can't stop. I don't want to stop..." I say quietly.

"Maxon-"

"America, just listen. I- I need to put Illéa's well being before my own. It's the right thing to do. I'm sorry. I hope you understand. If there isn't anything else I need to go." I say quickly. I could feel the tears behind my eyes. My hand started to shake. America shakes her head no. I leave. I can feel America's eyes burning into the back of my head. As I leave I hear gentle sobs.

I've just did the one thing I never wanted to do.

I hurt America.

Hello!! I hope you like this chapter!! What does America think? How will Maxon and Kriss's relationship turn out? What about the coronation? Please please comment I love reading them! Also please vote it would mean so much.

I will be posting again on 7/4/18

Spoiler: Girl's Day!!!