Thunderbird

A sudden jolt of the bus pulled me from my nightmare. The screeching sound of the grindylows still echoing in my head. It was morning and as I look out the window we pass the Welcome to Maine sign.

"You okay mister?" A small boy sitting across from me ask.

I'm far from okay, but he's to young to understand. So I lied, like I do to everyone.

"Yeah, you play football?" I ask pointing to the brown muggle ball in his hands.

"Yes sir, I'm going to be the next Tom Brady." He pauses and looks at his mother who was knitting. The little boy leans forward and covers his mouth to loudly whisper. " 'Cept I'm not gunna marry a icky girl. Can't risk cooties ya know."

I chuckle softly and smile. Hell if my wife was stack like Brady's I'd risk cooties. Again can't say things like that to an eight year old?

"Can't blame you, heard cooties are the worst." I say and he nods in agreement with me.

"You talk funny, like the boring movies ma watches." The boy says looking at me with a grin missing a tooth.

"Nate." The mother finally noticed her son talking to a stranger. "I'm so sorry sir, don't be rude." She chastised him and he just shrugs.

"It's okay ma'am, he's probably just bored. It's been a long trip."  Honestly I like kids, they're honest.

I spend the next hour talking to them. They're visiting the woman's parents. The little boy liked football and reading. He showed me a book filled with adventures with a small yellow puppy. When the bus pulled to a stop I help them with their luggage.

"Thank again, he can be a handful." She said with a kind motherly smile.

A loud horn got my attention. It came from a light blue truck. Potter was standing beside it waving like a maniac and honking the horn though the window.

"Looks like your ride is here. Try to enjoy your trip dear." She said as I said my good byes and walk over to him.

"Still playing hero Cedric?" He asked as he patted my back in a warm greeting.

"Just being a gentleman, Potter."

"No luggage?"  He asked getting into the truck. I nodded and got in.

"Extension charm." I said as I patted my small leather messenger bag.

"So how's it going Mr. Champion?" He ask as we headed down an old road.

"Just living the dream my friend." I responded dryly.

"Ah that great huh?" Was his response as he gripped the wheel tighter.

"Yup." I smacked as I looked out the window at all the trees.

"Still having nightmares?" He probed like the good doctor he was. I growled and switched on the radio. Some obscure muggle song filled the cab.

"I'll take that as a yes." I glared at his smiling face. We listen to the radio until we pulled into a gas station. The attendant came out and began pumping the gas.

"Dr.Potter good to see you again." He greeted my friend and they exchanged pleasantries while I slipped off to the restroom. After I got out I leaned against the wall to have a cigarette. The harsh burn helping keep my thoughts on the present. When I finished I got back into the truck.

"Be sure to tell her my grandson loved the books." The old attendant said as he waved us off.

"Will do George.Tell Martha hello from us." He waved as we drove off.