Kelpie

I hadn't seen her since that morning, to keep myself busy I've been helping Lily set up for the luncheon. She told me stories of the siblings. Hard to imagine Potter as a small child. Sometimes she would stop her self and change the subject, it was a curious thing. The day of the luncheon had arrived and  I stood on the guest house porch smoking a cigarette debating on whether or not if I wanted to go. My long hair pulled back , giving me the  illusion of respectability. My shiny zippo lighter was on the railing beside me. A loud caw broke me out of my thoughts and the black devil creature took off with my lighter again. I smiled and ran up to the main house. She was at the end of the path with her damn bird on her shoulder holding my lighter.

"Hermione." I whispered as I closed the space between us. Sowerby gurgled a noise and pecked at a loose strand of her hair. He then flew off as she stepped closer to me.

"I think he missed you." She snickered handing my lighter back to me but didn't let go of my hand.

"Feeling isn't mutual." I squeezed her hand. "Did his owner miss me?" She smiled and nodded.

"I hate these social events, but I love the charities they support." She said looking behind her. I linked her arm in mine and escorted her to the dining room. We paused at the steps so she could put on her shoes. With her free hand she tried to smooth out the invisible wrinkles of her long dress.

"They can't be that bad." I whispered in her ear as we enter. I wanted to immediately withdraw that statement as all the women stares burned holes in my simple suit.  She was fidgeting beside me and looking at the floor.

"I feel like a side show attraction." She whispered back at me as I maneuver us to where Lily was. She gave us a kind smile and sighed. "Mom tries to help me not to stand out." Her grip on my arm tightened as a woman came up to us.

"Miss Potter, always a pleasure." The middle age woman paused for a second, examining Hermione and me."To see you. You missed last month luncheon."

" I had a deadline and needed to finish some illustrations." Hermione voice held a tone of superiority. The woman made a face and was about to say something else when Evelyn voice cut though the tension.

"There's my two favorite young people." She said dismissing the woman with just her presence. I mouthed a thank you to her. She waved her hand and pulled me into a hug.

"You keep those barracudas away from my girl." She whispered into my ear. I nodded and she smiled pulling her granddaughter into a hug. Mr.Potter shook my hand and helped his mother to the table.

"Like I said I hate these things, they all look at me like a freak." She sounded so sad that I just wanted to scoop her up and run away from these harpies.

"You're not a freak sweetheart." I pulled her closer to me and kissed the top of her head. Earning me a raised eyebrow and glare from her ever watchful brother. She was just different in the most beautiful way possible. Her dress was to long, it was to dark a color. Her hair was in a low bun the curls threatening to explode out at any time. She didn't wear heels or heavy makeup. Everything about her was just slightly different.

"I missed you." She put her head on my shoulder and sighed.We sat at the table and Lily introduced me to all the society women. All their beady judgmental eyes were on me. Hermione was right to hate these things.The rude woman from before started to ask some passive aggressive questions. Mione ignored her and began humming her song. The woman voice started to waiver slightly. Something kicked my leg. Potter was glaring at his sister. The kick was meant for her.

"Hermione dearest, I thinking your brother wants your attention." I said stroking her shoulder with my thumb.

She stopped her humming and stared at him. They seemed to have another silent conversation. She frowned and glared back and he raised his eyebrows. She grunted silently and her little nose flared in anger.